TN: 2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard

I’ve considered joining several times but the 8-12 bottle annual minimum has given me pause. I can usually find enough on the secondary market that I don’t feel I’m missing out too much.

I haven’t had the Arcadian, but Pisoni is a stunning vineyard. This 30+ year old vineyard is the best IMO in the SLH, among the best in Calfornia and world-class.

Mike - I’m surprised!! You really need to rectify this as it will give you a whole new appreciation for this vineyard.

Russ, I wish I could do it all and I know Joe’s style is different, but I’m pleased with what I can get from Siduri and Pisoni.

Mike,

Let me know when you are near the winery and I will pop one of the Arcadians. I try to have all of the various producers Pisoni Vineyard Pinots in the cellar — even those that pick after me, like Joe! neener

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

I miss those Anna Nicole Smith arguments.

Russ,

They were (are) fun. Joe and I always took it in good stride…which is what allowed it to be good fun.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

I remember those! IMO, Pisoni Vineard, as translated by Adam, is way sexier than Anna Nicole (may she rest in peace) ever was!

Adam:

Any thoughts on the evolution of your 2008 Eddie’s Lot? I have been patiently sitting on my two bottles.

TIA

I don’t mean to stir the pot here but sometimes a great man can choose a different route. I used to call Adam a raisin picker and he would call me an acid freak. Times have changed and Adam has crossed over to the elegant side I think. He and I have talked on occasion about how our picking decisions are really not that far apart any longer. And while Siduri wines have always been delicious I think they have gotten even better over the years.

While the point was long ago made with regard to two very different styles of wine making based primarily on harvest decisions, I do think many new producers are opting for earlier picks today and Pinot Noir seems to be trending back toward the lower alcohol higher acid style that I have always preferred.

Jay,

We would love to have you and while we do a two bottle shipper 4 times a year we never insist anyone to take wine they do not want. I think if you check with many on this board they will tell you that we offer lots of options here and sometimes the offers are well worth being a member. I hope you will reconsider.

mike,

I have 3 of the 2005…we should meet up do a ride and have a taste.

Jay,

What Joe says is dead on. You can substitute or add any wines you want for each shipment and Joe offers some great deals above and beyond the member discount. You really should join if you’re an Arcadian fan.

It does indeed Joe and IMHO I think CA Pinot is better for it. champagne.gif

+1 - Arcadian’s club is the most flexible I have seen in terms of making substitutions/additions/changes to their club shipments - I think I have made a change or substitution to virtually every one of my club shipments and I have been in the club since the beginning - and the other special deals offered from time to time are just the icing on the cake!

Great post. The only thing I would say is that the winemaker isn’t more important but they are certainly are a filter. Think about it this way: If the winemaker style is stronger than the terroir signature, all of that winemaker’s wines would taste the same.

1 Like

Ugh, Joe, really? “Crossed over to the elegant side”? I’ve picked before you and I’ve picked after you. That was true a decade ago and is true now. This vintage I am picking the same section at Clos Pepe before you…and then a different section at Clos Pepe after you. There’s no crossing over…and while I agree that our picking decisions are really not that far apart, I’d say that they weren’t that far apart ten years ago either. We’ve both picked when we believe it is right.

As far as new producers moving towards a “lower alcohol higher acid style.” Back in the days you used to say that folks were only going towards “higher alcohol, lower acid” to please the critics. Now that folks are moving the other direction, at the mass of critics is in found in the same direction, are you willing to say they are moving that way just to please those critics? Or, because they agree with you, are you not willing to take that position?

BTW, this thread stated with how good your 2005 Pisoni Pinot Noir is…and having had it numerous times, I whole heartedly agree. Don’t want to fully hijack it away from that central point.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

Adam - I don’t see this as hijacking at all, but rather a turn in the road from where we originally began. I think these type of discussions are very productive, informative and interesting as long as we keep it civil. Actually, I would like to see more winemakers participating here and having these very conversations. These type of interactions are greatly missed here.

2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (9/20/2022)
– decanted 1 hr. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 3.25 hrs –

NOSE: raspberry Twizzlers licorice; high-toned; red-fruited, but now smelling somewhat aged; hints of pine needle, baked red fruits, and automotive grease; open and expressive.

BODY: garnet color of medium-deep depth – youthful color for a 17 yo wine; medium bodied.

TASTE: earthy red fruits; clean; a bit waterier than the NOSE suggested; touch of auto grease; seemed to start filling-in about 1.5 hrs after opening; seemed to build, and then die, in the glass; clean (no brett); maybe already in its prime window, as it’s drinking very well right now.

50, 5, 13, 17, 8 = (93 pts.)

and, apparently, I never posted my 2015 TN here, either, unless I simply cannot use the Search function properly at the moment.

2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (1/16/2015)
– decanted 4 hours before initial taste –
– tasted single-blind on Day 1; tasted non-blind on Day 2 –

NOSE: Day 1: expressive; red-fruited; floral; hints of cumin and mild chilli powder. Day 2: darker fruits today; hint of black licorice; dry cured meats – Italian salami.

BODY: clear; garnet color of medium-light depth; medium-light to light bodied.

TASTE: Day 1: smooth; high acidity; red-fruited; no tannin; medium-light oak; 13.8% alc. not noticeable; single blind, I guessed this to be the ’03 Francesca’s Pinot Noir. Day 2: tight; light to medium-light green streak; fruits a bit muted. Hold.

50, 5, 12, 16, 7 = (90 pts.)

1 Like

We had one the other night and it was in a great place. My first impression was strawberries and sous bois. Delicious.