TN: 2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard

So, Merrill’s post made me open an '05 Francesca’s tonight. Although it does not suck, I do wonder if it may be in somewhat of a closed phase right now, as the fruit seems a bit thin despite a good amount of expressiveness on the Nose.

Yeah this seems very odd and a bit disconcerting.

2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (2/22/2017)
– decanted for 1.5 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 3 hours –

NOSE aged red fruits; hint of stewed tomato; expressive; not complex.

BODY: garnet color of medium to medium-deep depth; bricking throughout; medium-grained particulate matter present; medium bodied. Thought about deducting a point for the bricking, as most Arcadian pinots of this age wouldn’t show that way, but decided not to.

TASTE: open; dark red fruits (a bit muddled); medium oak; not as acidic as most Arcadian pinots*; bitter florals; seems to be ageing quickly relative to other Arcadian offerings; *apparent acidity did increase to medium – medium+ after 4 hours open; better with air than without; surprisingly, I think this is in its peak window, if not already on its gradual downslope, due to some worries that the oak is starting to take a stronger position than it formerly did. It’s kind of crazy to say an 11 year old Pinot Noir from the U.S. is “early maturing” but that’s really a testament to the ageworthiness of Joe’s wines. I will continue to check-in on this every few months; very good to low-level excellent. Drink now and over the near term.

50, 5, 11, 16, 7 = (89 pts.)

The vast majority of Joe’s 2005 Pinots are superior to the Sleepy.
Kind of unusual given Sleepy’s track record…

TTT

Once upon a time (8 years ago, at the Arcadian open house), the '05 Sleepy was my favorite of Joe’s '05s. While I still enjoy it, I now think I prefer the Francesca’s and all other SVDs in that vintage. Seeing how I have 9 bottles remaining of the '05 Sleepy, that wine will have plenty of opportunities to make a fool of me (which I hope it does)! [cheers.gif]

This 05 Sleepy will be a kick in the shins 10 years from now. Most will regret not saving some for the long term.

Just did a tasting of Arcadian chards, pinots and syrahs. Pinots underwhelmed me but that would be most Cali Pinots. I drink Oregon. I like the Syrahs and the Chards were nice.

Sour cherries, white pepper and lovely floral notes on the nose. Lovely crisp acidity, bright red fruit and nice texture and structure. All crisp, bright red fruited joy. Still plenty of time, but starting to drink very nicely.

Guys, when we doing another Arcadian tasting!?

Thanks for volunteering, Charlie! What should we bring and when should we arrive? :wink:

Let’s do it! I will bring some brisket

I haven’t checked the board in ages, but saw this…you know I’ll bring the heat.

I’d love to be included in a tasting if there’s a spot. I have many great bottles of Arcadian I could include.

If we need a volunteer to host the event, I will offer to do it at my house.

Rick, I wish you posted here more often…I’ve always enjoyed your notes and what you have to say. Miss you, buddy.

if we do it, let’s do it a little more central inbetween LA/OC instead of the deep OC like frank’s :wink:.

I would love to be part of this. I have many of these wines. I would like to bring a few.

As always, would love to participate in another Arcadian event.

Let me know when and I will do my best to join you.

You guys are making me jealous. Any east coast Arcadian lovers who want to set up a dinner?

Jud, you know I am around now and then. 4th of July weekend I am there, but bad timing, most likely. After that, probably monthly Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec. Let’s talk - would be awesome, like all our dinners. champagne.gif