TN: 2005 Heitz Cab

2007 St. Innocent Momtazi pinot noir, methinks.

Nailed it.

[winner.gif]

I think Bob will hit 20,000 posts by Thursday.

Steve,
For goodness sakes the characteristic eucalyptus note in the classic Heitz Martha’s Vineyard disappeared when the entire vineyard was replanted in the early 90’s due to phylloxera, and no wines were made in the mid-1990 for a few vintages. The wines since don’t have that note; one rumor has it that a eucalyptus tree was removed.

Quite true. The eucalyptus note was exclusive to the MV (and mint as I recall) pre-phylloxera. Speculation was that the trees may have caused this - don’t know if the trees were removed when the old vines were dug up. The Bella Oaks and regular Cabs (or Trailside for that matter) did not have this trait. I recall the regular Cab being very heavy in cassis and black currant. Not a lot pf plum or cherry flavor or red fruits in the profile as I recall. I will open an 07 this weekend and see what is up. The 97, 98, 99, 00, and 01 were like the style I remember. I have not bought it since 01 (mostly because I have not seen it around much and I did not seek it out)

…and Monelena and Dunn.

For goodness sakes? I thought only my 87 year old mother said that anymore. neener

Anyway, I would disagree with you, though I have not had a lot of Heitz from the 90’s I still found eucalyptus in the 99. The 05 was the first wine I’ve tried in the 2000’s and I didn’t like what I tasted. Just one mans opinion. [cheers.gif]

What about Mayacamas?

Another was they were replaced. I don’t remember the eucalyptus on the reg cab though, only the Martha’s.

[/quote] What about Mayacamas?[/quote]

[thumbs-up.gif]

Yup. I don’t see it much around my way anymore. Back in the early 80’s it was all those mentioned plus BV (GDL) and Rige Monte Bello (but that is not Napa). The old Inglenook wines were nice also.

Another was they were replaced. I don’t remember the eucalyptus on the reg cab though, only the Martha’s.

Ah, very interesting - both points actually. First of all, I apparently stopped buying wine just before the phylloxera epidemic in California, and didn’t get back until it was all over. I’m kinda glad to have missed all of the excitement. Doesn’t sound like much fun. I heard discussion of this over the years, but it was dim and distant but it really didn’t have much meaning until this discussion had me comparing wines from before and after. I certainly do agree that the recent vintages of Heitz Cabernet are not what I remember. I can’t say if that is the results of new vines or a new approach to the house style. I can say that I am enjoying the recent vintages quite a bit but they aren’t the same.

Regarding the eucalyptus on the regular bottling, I would have sworn that it was there in every vintage but… What I discovered this morning on careful review of my notes was that while it was dominant on the '80 vintage (again Napa Bottling) it was nowhere to be found in the other vintages from around the same time. My guess, and it is really a guess, is that they may have blended some of the “lesser” lots from Martha’s Vineyard in the regular bottling. Why not? 1980 was a big year, perhaps there was enough extra to be very selective. In any case it would only enhance the regular bottling. What would that hurt? Unfortunately for me it was that one bottle from the 1980 vintage that left the deepest impression on my memory. It appears now that my memory is just not that reliable.

Now youngun’s…this is why it is so important for you to take good notes. You are really NOT going to remember all of this stuff later. You may remember your opinions, but you may not remember just why you formed them.

Tim

This is classic! [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [welldone.gif]

The vineyard owners tore out a whole line of eucalyptus trees that lined the vineyard, and used to let micro particles of eucalyptus oils stick tom the grape skins when the winds blew and they were still planted there.

As for the 1999 Napa having a minty note, there are lesser years where more Martha’s might be seen in the regular Napa bottling but it is a small amount.

*I have sold Heitz for 13 years.

Steve,
I brought a 2003 (regular) Heitz to the CA cab tasting at Domanico’s winery…weren’t you there?
I don’t remember it being skittle flavored. Not that it fared particularly well against 1994 Dominus, but it was way better than the Realm something-or-other.

Megan,
Do you really think I would remember a 03 Heitz when there was a 94 Dominus? Thanks for stepping up, they’ll love you down in Ca, neener

So I just checked out your tasting note on CT…I was in Telluride last Feb. 12th skiing.

1994 Dominus rocks.

I had to check on the 07 Heitz after this thread and yes the style seems to have changed and it is very sweet. Not a currant to be found in this wine. Think of candy coated cherries. It even smells sweet. What the hell happened to Heitz? Joe must be rolling in his grave.

Not liking this new style. I will try over the next few days, but cellar time will not help IMHO. There was not much structure to the wine, the tannins are very tame.