TN: 2005 Overnoy Arbois-Pupillin

Doesn’t seem like Aviet is imported to the USA anymore.

I had Ganevat’s Les Chalasses Marnes Bleues 2011 a month ago. Absolutely amazing and still young enough to go 5+ years.

Now I don’t think all wine have to last a lifetime in the cellar. When i buy Labet, i will drink most of it 3-6 years after release. Actually most of the Jura i buy is in that drinking window.

But maybe i am just a hipster :wink:

Possibly, who knows [cheers.gif]

Neither does Ganevat’s whites, only 3 different ones I’ve had, holds a candle to Overnoy-Houillon’s that I’ve had.

Have you tasted Ganevat’s Les Vignes de Mon Pere? For me that was a better experience than the two times i’ve tasted Overnoy. That said maybe Overnoy would do as well or better with even more age.

Les Vignes de Mon Pere is an excellent wine, and on the same qualitative level as Overnoy/Houillon Savagnin. I also like many of Ganevat’s other whites, but they’re stylistically different from Overnoy/Houillon. To me, the Ganevat are more polished. I don’t mean that as a negative.

They do come in, in small quantities. Flatiron has had some.

The Trousseau was my favorite Puffeney wine, followed closely by the Poulsard M. I agree that Aviet is in the same idiom. Gahier is close by Puffeney, but makes the wines in a little lighter, earlier style from what I’ve tasted. I like them very much. I also recommend Joseph Dorbon, who is stylistically in the same vein as Puffeney was.

I admit limited Ganevat sample size here and the only Ganevat Vin de Mon Pere I had was when it was offered at local restaurant Racines from at least a decade ago and I recall mixed reactions from my 3 co-diners ranging from mentioning words like quirky and it’s fine, but next time let’s just go for an aged Baudry white in the list.

Overnoy-Houillon’s Savagnin could be so smooth-mannered, and I mean that in a positive way, starting with the 2009 that I last opened less than 2 years ago. O-H’s 2003, 2004, 2005 (all were, I believe, Vieux Savagnin Ouille) were more on the angular side when I had about 7 years ago and I recall some measure of harshness and wildness with those. But his 2000, 2007 and 2009 were so rounded and smooth that I can’t recall any other same level Jura white that I had that I could’ve compared them to.

I confess that I’m partial to O-H’s savagnin over chardonnay (or mix of both).

Btw, I don’t believe any has mention Domaine St. Pierre here.

I’ve been continuously impressed with wines, both reds and whites, made by this producer.

Only heard very good things about Domaine St. Pierre. They are certainly on my radar.

I saw that but presumed it was older in stock inventory.

Really?? I’ve had a lot of it, have tasted at the domaine, and have bottles back to 1975 in my cellar; but (especially for the red) I can’t possibly imagine paying the better part of 500 USD for a bottle of Overnoy. Or, frankly, any other wine from the Jura with the exception of 2003 or 2005 Vignes de Mon Père.

Couldn’t disagree with you more strongly.

The Aviet wines are nice, and quite consistent. They do some sur voile Savingnin bottlings that are de facto vin jaune but more drinkable, plus melon de que rouge, and bright, pretty reds - though my mileage has varied when aging the latter, 2009 for example being a bit flat and boring these days.

I did caveat that I’ve only had 3 bottles of Ganevat (versus many more from O-H), and so you can also say that my view is skewed and quite prejudiced.

1 Like

This is all very subjective, I suppose, but there was a time I was buying, drinking, stashing away bottles of Overnoy, both red and white, and the price range was consistently 25-35 EUR. Of course, I couldn’t get hundreds of bottles, but a case or two was never really a problem where I was buying. Even as little as ten years ago, nobody, or at least a very limited number of people, really seemed THAT interested :slight_smile:. I like the wines a lot, obviously… but suddenly having to pay fifteen times as much as I used to? Frankly, I’m not sure I like ANY wine THAT much :slight_smile:. And then there’s Edmond Vatan, more or less the same kind of development, as far as I can tell, at least on this side of the pond. And Rougeard. Many others, too.

All very subjective, as I said. Are/were these wines unique, truly the best ever of their type etc.? Yes, kind of. All this mythologizing that is so typical in the context of wine people often happens for a reason. Yet, and with me this really mostly depends on the weather :slight_smile:, sometimes I catch myself thinking: maybe I’m just fortunate in that I somehow seem to stumble into lots of wines that, at least to me, genuinely seem quite “unique”… I honestly can’t say I value my Overnoy holdings more than my Puffeney or my Aviet holdings. At some level, ultimately, it’s all really just a matter of taste. It was Nietzsche, I think, who had a brilliant quip about that somewhere.

Incidentally, just the other day, I drank a recent vintage of Thomas-Labaille’s Aristide over lunch. I really hadn’t seen it coming. But, once it had opened up a little, I swear it tasted, no, it felt, a lot like Clos de la Neore, for some reason :slight_smile:

Funny you should say that. My 2009 Rosiere are literally firing on all cylinders. Just goes to show… :slight_smile:

Yes! The 2003 Vignes de Mon Père is the most magical white i have had. Just amazing.

1 Like

Haven’t had the 2003 or 2005, but 2006 Vignes de Mon Père is still one of the most stunning whites I’ve ever tasted. An extraordinary wine by any standards.

2 Likes