TN: 2006 Mollydooker Shiraz Velvet Glove

Nice Tim - that all makes sense and cool to hear you didn’t think the wine was wasted…but just literally tasted like sh*t

And like you said, it’s always helpful to try different wines. At least now you don’t have to be on the fence about whether or not you should bite on your next allocation of Mollydooker :slight_smile:

The chap who brought it was definitely a little bemused and disappointed by the table’s reaction. Normally we are polite about each other’s wines but this came last, after 6-7 other bottles, and it was so ridiculous to taste after a bunch of old world Syrah (and some very nice Shiraz), that we might have let our thoughts come out more than normal.

His main reaction that I recall was that he said he would bring “a much older wine next time”, as if there would be a next time for him after bringing that wine!!! I kid, but it did suggest he considered its youth part of the issue.

Joking aside, I do feel for him. It’s a social gathering and he probably feels like he’s been made the outsider of the pack for his choice of wine. We didn’t make the wine, yet we always want any wine we bring to be well received / appreciated.

The ordering may not have helped either, as if coming directly after some older Syrah, it could easily appear even more brash.

The failing? One of those instances where the theme could have either been tightened (e.g. just Shiraz, or just Syrah), or expanded to be an exploration of Syrah / Shiraz across the full spectrum, or even further to “just bring something interesting” where the great range of styles may have helped it not stick out as much.

It might however be that his tastes are different to the rest of the group, and it’s a good hint to him that it might not be the tasting group for him.

It appears this wine was not served properly, and that might be why it showed so poorly. Tim, you made no mention of pouring this into a blender and hitting the “Frappe” button for 45 to 60 seconds.

I believe that this notion has merit. I am sure that most of us have had “fruit bombs” transform into a more elegant and desirable wine with bottle age. In my experience this seems particularly true of Aussie Shiraz. I drink my shiraz between 10 and 20+ years.

Hi Don
Actually to be fair, it is over 10 years old!
regards
Ian

Assuming the bottle was not flawed.

Wine is as much Art as it is Science. What one finds ghastly, may be another’s masterpiece. I’ve generally enjoyed Sparky’s wines over the years, including Velvet Glove. I find he is adept at capturing the essence of the grape. Direct, while at the same time colorful. Hmm… kind of like the Andy Warhol of wine making.

Joking aside, I do feel for him. It’s a social gathering and he probably feels like he’s been made the outsider of the pack for his choice of wine. We didn’t make the wine, yet we always want any wine we bring to be well received / appreciated

And I, too, felt for him - no one wants to feel an outsider, in any way. When we left the table and made our way outside, I pulled him aside and told him no worries, none - heck, it’s just wine.

I hoped his real take away was that our gatherings are about people first, wine second, etc., and not a one of us will/did judge, or really care for that matter. Everyone likes the guy, everyone would have him back. If the guy were a wanker, he’d have never been invited back for that reason alone, regardless of which wine he brought.

I think our friend brought his best (Syrah) bottle, or what he thought was his best, and it’s only the thought that counts in such matters.

I’m glad you did that. I remember the first time I was invited to a wine group and someone groaned at my Faust Cabernet. That was the first time I had spent over $40 on a bottle of wine, and I left thinking how much I hated wine snobs… Now here I am.