TN: 2007 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

Or maybe the '05? This is the one Parker seriously underrated when he visited and tasted a vertical after not having rated any Ridge wines for a few years. It didn’t have the “flavor” (intensity) of the previous vintages, but was amazingly complex and complete, so he put it around 91, while I was maybe 97, and we were within a point on the others.

This drank very well the year of release, then shut down hard. Last I tasted a couple years ago it was coming back around, but was very far from peak. No hurry, but if you have a bunch and want to check it sounds like it’s showing well enough.

This is making me sad I have only one of these :frowning: It’s the first vintage of Monte Bello I bought, and I only bought two. I should have held off longer on opening the first one…

Dan, that is pretty idiosyncratic scale. Without it, I would never have understood what your 92 meant. I think most people here figure that a 92 point would be a very good wine, but not fantastic, and certainly never a WOTY candidate.

Numbers never mean anything when describing the subjective, but Americans sure do like to think they do. Particularly prevalent in acute-care medicine in this lost era.

Sweet Jesus means something.

Love this Monte Bello. We gave a bottle of the '07 to some good friends of ours who were married last summer, and they were very grateful as they had opened a bottle last year and loved the wine.

Thanks,
Ed

Appreciate all the notes and unbridled enthusiasm (c). Just saw it at a small shop for $120. This thread confirmed it was worth grabbing.

Fookin’ aye that was a bright purchase.

I didn’t join the Montebello list until well after this… more like 2013. Maybe they will break out a bottle or two at one of their spring tastings sometime…

Come back to Oahu for another visit Ashish. I’ve been on the list since 2000. I also have some '96 which is drinking very well. [blinky emoticon]

Ralph is threatening the '73 Monte Bello for Mike G’s visit. I’ll have to see what I can add.

That 96 is just as good as MB gets.

Is 20 years too early to open one?

Wine is singing now, had one last year.

I don’t think you can go wrong with these wines beginning at about 10-12 years in terms of their drinkability. Beyond that, its just a question of what your sweet spot is for aged wine. Had the '01 last year and it was beautiful, but waiting til its 20th birthday to open my other one.

Popping our last bottle of 1980 Sunday night. I expect it to still be great.

Please post a note! Birth year and I would love to hear how that wine is doing!