TN: 2008 Arcadian Syrah Hommage à Max

IMHO it is ready for business, there is no reason to wait longer, at least for regular bottles

THIS is a great wine. I have had so many domestic disappointments lately and this was pure redemption.

Woodsy smoky earthy perfumed nose. There is some wood on the palate but I don’t know if that is oak or a flaw. It’s easy to ignore, while there it doesn’t affect anything else.

Earthy dark cocoa covered dark and red cherries with great acid drive. This has such an European character with balance and such distinct focused flavor. The cured meats show strong on the finish with salty gamey things. This is syrah and a real treat. Thanks, Joe!

Why would you think it was a flaw? I don’t think this area had fire issues like the Anderson Valley in 2008.

It’s hard to describe, that’s why I said I didn’t know. The wood flavor sits on top of the wine, it is not integrated at all, so it sticks out. Sort of like the aged book character you sometimes get in aged bordeaux that is there but doesn’t otherwise affect the fruit and structure of the wine? If that makes any sense.

Yes, it does make sense. Thanks.