TN: 2010 Halcon - "Esquisto" (USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands)

Yes picked late October at 22.5b. Great color and the seeds were hard and brown.

Good to hear [cheers.gif]

Paul, please expect a “Mourvèdre Appreciation Social Club” interview email in the near future…

I am excited about the prospect of seeing something completely different from my favorite grape variety.

I am sending you an email Paul, which may appear later in the “Mourvèdre Appreciation” thread, so I don’t wish to be redundant.

Nevertheless, it is probably true to state that Halcón Vineyards is growing and producing Mourvèdre from the coolest site in the US, if not the world!

2010 Halcon Vineyards Mourvèdre Esquisto - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (5/22/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 – 3 hours –

NOSE: meaty; “dark,” but also high-toned, which I don’t usually get with dark-fruited wines; fairly expressive, with a pleasant touch of savory brininess.

BODY: magenta-garnet color of medium-deep depth; medium bodied; some shimmering fine crystals suspended in the wine and also on the bottom of the cork.

TASTE: Nose is reflected on the palate: a bit savory, gentle rubbery/smoke/meaty note; rosemary; good acidity; meaty, but not funky; still has some drying tannins; drinks young; 13.5% alc. not noticeable; like this a lot, and wish I had more. Drink Now through 2030, perhaps, which is a revision of my previous opinion that this should be consumed in the near term.

50, 5, 13, 17, 8 = (93 pts.)

Brian

Glad the wine showed so well. I think I have just one bottle left. Will have to drink it later this year.

Paul

Thanks for the stupendous wine, Paul! Do you still bottle a 100% Mourvedre?

Brian

Since 2017, yes.

Paul