TN: 2010 Rhys San Mateo County Pinot Noir

Plenty of stem characteristic in this one, but in the best possible way. I didn’t notice the greenness that others have mentioned. Love this wine! Pop one now if you have three or more. Otherwise, let 'em rest.

Damn, I’m very jealous.

Was trying hard to hold off, but looks like I have ample justification to sacrifice one of these babies soon!

This was spectacular for two days and a great comparison to another great wine. While the 06 Beaucastel was a layered and beautiful CdP, the acid in this wine just started making flavors pop that the Beau could not. Really impressive.

• 2010 Rhys Pinot Noir San Mateo County - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (5/4/2013)
    Pnp. See previous, no stems this time. The freshest pure cherry on the nose, with spice and smoke, pretty and intoxicating. Very accessible with tart and sour cherries on the palate with this incredible savory character that builds to a strong finish of truffle and bacon, so much umami in this wine. With time in the glass it is picking up floral notes and it is getting even more savory begging for something you’ve braised for the better part of a day. Complex spice notes accompany the tannic structure that builds with each sip, and yet continues to evolve in flavor. I underestimated this, what a bottle.

Day two-

Sharp and great aromas of macerated small cherries and very high toned spice. I had the remainder after an excellent meal and a Chateau Beaucastel. The gorgeous acid in this wine cleansed the palate and woke up all the great flavors just had, it was really impressive. There is something indescribable about the balance of earth, savory, acid, and fruit in this wine. Harmonious in just that right way to be delicious. As focused as this is I honestly cannot believe it is appellation level, these Rhys guys are either lucky or genius. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Happy for Kevin and Jeff. I really like the wines too.

Kenny - definitely not lucky, but genius?? [wink.gif]