TN: 2012 Briceland Vineyards Petit Verdot Ishi Pishi Ranch - a deliciously quirky wine

Hi Adam.

Good question. This is the first vintage that I made from this site. So, we don’t have real long term data.

From the last bottle I have had it was surprisingly fresh considering its age. I like the last bottle that I had better than earlier ones. I think it is still on the upswing for at least a few or possibly 5-10 more years… But, I am far from an expert at estimating drinking windows, so take that for what it is.

All of the rest of you,

Thanks for your comments on that wine.

This bottle felt like a baby, and on day two, had not budged. I have no idea how this wine evolves, whether it becomes more complex, but it definitely has structure to age. Like a lot more. If I had more, I’d drink one now to gauge it, and then prolly circle back again in 3-5. Delicious now, however.

Thanks Andrew and Robert.
This is the problem with having an actual budget because of two children needing full time child care. It’s the best of times and the worst of times when you may have to forego one of your favourite wineries because of it. (Yes, Briceland is always a hit in our house.)

Hi Adam,
Take good care of the kids!

If you want me to hold a few bottles of anything for you, just let me know. I appreciate your support over the years.

Cheers!

Mears went to the front and after we did 25 mph for a little bit (Goldenrod, from trailer park to toll booth), more than half the group sat up. After we sat up, Mears took it up to 30 mph down Heintzleman. There was no way I was hanging onto that train.

Popped the 2015 Briceland Petit Verdot after finishing a Williams Selyem Pinot. Was a tough following act, the wine a bit reticent on a pop and pour, but on day two, this wine is showing lovely things. A very rounded wine, big ripe fruit but with crisp acid. Love the range of red to darks and the typical green note that PV also seems to throw for me. Camphor, camp fire and moist earth. Chewy sweet tannins, a wine with some grip. A comparable Bordeaux is Chateau Bolaire and Chateau Belle-Vue, both with very healthy dollops of PV. Both excellent - all three of these are excellent - QPRs.

(91 pts.)

PS. PV is a quirky grape. I like it.