TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee [2015 vintage notes added 7.19.19]

I kinda presumed, too, that Faryan was responding to my post and that he meant to include me in the “We”.

In any case, Michael, it’s about time that we revisit No Rhone or Baudry!

I’d certainly be willing to sacrifice a 2010 Croix Boisee at a Baudry-theme night.

Huh, I just checked what vintages I have and see I still have one 1997 CB. After that, it skips to 2005.

I only singled out the out of towners!

Seem to be plenty available in Seattle.

The 2014 is great, but I think 2015 has longer legs.

And if you think these two are good, the 2016 tasted from barrel (so not a finished blend) could be phenomenal. One of the most amazing tastes of young Chinon I have ever had.

Post some notes, Chris! Sounds cool.

“Doctor Jura”??

I have a few each of the 1996 and 1997, then skip to 2011. An unfortunate hole in my cellar.

You guys are lucky to have these older vintages. They were released when it was very difficult to get these types of wines in Florida.

Weren’t you completely invested in the southern rhone then regardless? (no claims of palate superiority here - I was probably buying Marquis Phillips Shiraz because of the cost/points ratio).

Yes, but not to the exclusion of other regions. I’m not sure if is palate shift, warmer vintages, Cambiefication, or a combination of all of them, but no doubt pre-2007 I drank tons of Southern Rhones, especially the yummy Cotes du Rhone for everyday drinking. They were a great value. I bought a lot of Gigondas as well. Some of those vintages, think 2001 and 2004, drank nothing like 2007 or 2009, IMHO. I still really enjoy Pegau 2000 and 2001.

Before the lifting of the shipping ban, you really could not find many Northern Rhones in FL, even though I had been introduced to, and fell in love with, Clape in 1995. You could not find Levet, Juge, Allemand, Jamet, Gonon, etc. Jasmin, occasionally. Guigal and Chapoutier everywhere, but even then, never my style.

Chinon was similar. I was introduced to this region back in 1996, hooked on Raffaults from the 1980s. I could source locally Joguet, Breton, Chatelereuse, so those filled my voids. You could not find Baudry, Rougeard, Plouzeau, Guion, etc. Heck, I never heard of these until I joined the boards.

It will be sad now that the shipping ban is hitting once again. Amazing in 2017.

Is it Kermit or LDM in Washington state?

When I lived in SoCal, I didn’t see much Baudry at all, just a little bit at Hi-Times and not on a consistent basis. Kermit always has it in Berkeley.

The 1996 we had at the Southern Jeebus in 2016 was fantastic but the 1996 Grézeaux may have been even better. I spent the week after Joe’s death drinking up a bunch of last bottles of LDM wines as an hommage, that included 1995, 1997-2001 Croix Boissée. I’m now down to 1-2 of all my remaining pre-2005 vintage.

In a surprising turn of events, I’ve been really getting into southern Rhônes (and the Rousillon) the last few years after ignoring them for more than a decade. Eric Texier thought I was an idiot for ignoring the nobility of old vine grenache and poured some stunning Rayas and Gramenon for me on a visit about 5 years ago. Admittedly, I don’t buy widely and nothing near Cambie and mostly I’m enjoying “natural” camp producers.

Or, simply, Dr. J.

Kermie.

I get some from Envoyer every year. Are you not on Greg’s list, Alan?

I got some 2010s in the cellar and have been thinking about opening one, giving it air, and then seeing what’s there. If I do this, should I be worried that one of you is going to show up at my pad and give me hell? [berserker.gif]

Frank, I did get some from Greg as well. Just saying it’s not to be found around the Bay. Though apparently Kermit brings some in. For some reason I just don’t see it anywhere.

I’m game, though you drank my last bottle of the '96 Grezeaux.