TN: 2014 Limerick Lane 1023 (Zin/Syrah/Grenache)

As noted above I felt this was a wow wine when we had it few month back.

That’s why I grabbed it.

1 Like

First couple sips of the 1910 are really good. Not like it was on release at all, but really good.

Nice! Good to hear!

When you say different than release, what are you referring to? I like progression in my zins but my problem with the LLs is that the fruit fades away into the background pretty substantially and what’s left is not very exciting. Plus, the alcohol becomes much more apparent, which I do not enjoy at all.

The alcohol is in no way taking over. The fruit is still there, but it has been joined with savory elements that I am finding really delicious. I adore wines that display lots of savory/umami, and this is in the zone.

2 Likes

Great stuff, David, thanks for adding to the knowledge.

Agreed, appreciate it David! That sounds solid, and definitley much different than the 1023 I just had. No savory elements in mine…just faded fruit and some heat. Maybe the 1910 is the longer-distance runner??

I had the 2015 1023 recently and it was great with an hour in the decenter.

Love hearing that! Shifting over to my 2015’s for sure. Will try a 1023 or 1910 soon.

Still have 1 2014 1023 in my cellar. Will open it this week and see where it is at. I figured since it had a good portion of syrah in the blend it could age a little longer.

1 Like

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Jeff! Hoping yours has more fruit/less heat than mine.

Alright gonna pull my last 14’ 1023 for tonight. Will report back. I opened another bottle on January 9 this year but didn’t take any notes.

1 Like

Sounds good buddy - looking forward to hearing how yours shows!

Alright my attempt at a tasting note. Pulled this bottle from my cellar sometime around lunch time and stood up on the counter. Pulled the cork around 3:30 to smell and make sure it was good to drink. Nothing smelled off about the wine. Poured two glasses at 5 PM straight up and snuck a sip waiting on dinner. First taste, completely muted, barren taste with no fruit. Tried another sip a half hour later and very similar to the first taste, not getting fruit on the tongue. Sat down for dinner closer to 6, bbq chicken legs in the air fryer and this made the fruit finally pop on the tongue. Good food pairing for the wine. Poured the second glass around 7:30 and without food, I can say this wine has made the full transition from primary to secondary tasting notes. The wine is not unpleasant, however if you like the rush of fruit that Limerick Lane reds are known for, this is better drunk in the 3-5 year window.

1 Like

It sounds like the wine is shut down. It’d be interesting to see what they do with a bit more time. Maybe I’ll open a 14 RRZ sometime soon.

Great note Jeff! Your experience sounds similar to mine, especially with the muted fruit. I like secondary characteristics in my wine/zins but the problem I had was that I got a little bit of that up front…but it completely died out on the mid-palate and was replaced with alcohol all the way through the finish. I coravind another glass last night to make sure i wasn’t just having an off day previously and had the same results.

I think you nailed it that the wine was not unpleasant…but i definitley feel these are past their prime and need to be consumed quickly before the alcohol becomes even more prominent.

1 Like

Would very interested to hear how the RRV is drinking! Let us know if you pop one!

Gonna pop a 2015 1023 soon, maybe next week to see if there clear difference between the two a year apart.

1 Like

I actually felt the same that the wine is shut down, but its clearly transitioned from primary to secondary. Where it is at in the evolution of the wine is hard to say since I don’t have any more to open and check in on. This blend with 52% zin, 45% syrah and 3% grenache definitely still has life left. It wasn’t dead by any means. There just isn’t that primary fruit pop except for when I paired it with bbq.

Quick update. After I coravind a glass yesterday I popped the bottle and left it under cork for today to see what happens. Unfortunately the wine is now completely shot and literally undrinkable. The little bit of fruit that was there yesterday is totally gone and all that’s left is alcohol/heat from start to finish. Sad to report that this wine is not shut down… its just past it’s prime. Drink now if you have any and finish within the first night.

EDIT: Dumped the rest of the bottle and poured a glass of 2015 Bedrock Dolinsek. All is right in the world again. THIS is how I like my zins to age.