TN: 2014 Marcel Juge, Cornas - Stream of Consciousness Thoughts

Agreed. Someone at the table kept trying to convince me it blew away the 07 DRC Echezeaux next to it and that’s when I knew Juge wasn’t for me. Now the 85 Verset, that’s a wow wine.

+10

Gotta blame the hipster Rhone nubes on this one. Ruined it for the rest of us.

I find the elevation of Juge to its current mythical level rather an odd construct.

But you also admitted in a post above that you have not tried any newer vintages of Juge, so it’s not really a fair comment for current releases. Likewise, I have not had any vintages more mature than 2007, so would not be fair for me to opine with confidence how well these wines can age. What I can say is, I’ve got the greatest palate in the history of the known world for, and here it comes, ME. I love love this stuff. Loved it first moment I tried it, well before I even knew what Juge really was, and a few years before the hype killed allocations and accessibility. I think my Northern Rhone palate is decent, and I’ve been drinking them for quite some time, from Clape, Allemand, Jamet, Gonon, Benetiere, Faurie, Michel, to Chave, to the range of lower to mid-tiers that grace the market and dinner tables. With the exception of Chave, and perhaps Allemand Reynard, I’d take Juge over any of them. Of course, YMMV.

No mention of your beloved Levet?

Oh wow, terrible oversight! Like major oversight.

Love love Levet.

Like the Laphroaig of Cote Rotie.

But you also admitted in a post above that you have not tried any newer vintages of Juge, so it’s not really a fair comment for current releases. Likewise, I have not had any vintages more mature than 2007, so would not be fair for me to opine with confidence how well these wines can age. What I can say is, I’ve got the greatest palate in the history of the known world for, and here it comes, ME. I love love this stuff. Loved it first moment I tried it, well before I even knew what Juge really was, and a few years before the hype killed allocations and accessibility. I think my Northern Rhone palate is decent, and I’ve been drinking them for quite some time, from Clape, Allemand, Jamet, Gonon, Benetiere, Faurie, Michel, to Chave, to the range of lower to mid-tiers that grace the market and dinner tables. With the exception of Chave, and perhaps Allemand Reynard, I’d take Juge over any of them. Of course, YMMV.
[/quote]
Thats cool, I respect your right to form your own opinion and I am in no way attempting to denigrate your love for Juge and I am sure you predate the social media hysteria that has seen the market become what it is today.

Oh, go ahead and denigrate his love of Juge! Go for it!

Well there have been whispers that this was all part of a guerrilla marketing campaign designed to increase the uptake of a Juge to Rougeard stock swap, sort of a vinous pump and dump.

Scandalous, salacious gossip and rumors, prolly started by Todder, who has a penchant for such things.

Of course, I had to shut that down hard, see my last post from 4:59 PM:

The floodgates of the Juge economy have opened on Commerce Corner, be interesting to see where it ends up, would make a great Doctoral Thesis on the effects of social media on the secondary market for small Cornas producers.

See bourbon market.

I gifted a bottle of 2014 Juge to Corey for serving as my mule. You have no idea what that man would gift it for. NSFW or this vibrant, family-oriented community and bastion of peace and harmony.

So. Good.

You can’t get Juge any more, but you can maybe get close:

Hmmm, “In California” is a big caveat. :stuck_out_tongue:

The 2017 is excellent. Kudos to Paul!