TN: 2014 Pégau - Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape)

to Brian Grafstrom, et al

Brian, I agree with you about 2004 being a bigger and better vintage than the others I listed. But I don’t think the difference is massive. I questioned including it in that particular vintage list and came down ‘yea’, but it was a judgment call.

to Jonathan Loesberg, I’m afraid we disagree. I really love 2006 for current drinking, but I don’t think it’s bigger than the other listed vintages and I find it a little lighter than 2004.

to Stephen Faulkner, I think 2012 Cuvee Reservee is a great vintage for this wine, but it is developing at a glacial pace. FWIW, for current consumption the 2012 Cuvee Laurence is stunning, as open as the Reservee is closed. For collectors who buy to drink and have
a) disposal income,
b) excellent storage, and above all
c) patience

I suggest you buy as much as you can of the 2012 Pegau Cuvee Reservee. It should be both great and profound in 10 - 30 years or more. If not on the level of 1959, 1989 and 2016, it will be very close.

Dan Kravitz

Thank you, Dan.

Tracking down the 2012…

My remark about the 06s was a generalization. I haven’t had the 04 Pegau in a couple of years but, for my memory, I would agree that it is lighter than 94, 99 and 04. But we do disagree about how it is drinking right now, and, of course, about the 08 Pegau. I haven’t yet had a 12 and your evaluation scares me as I am 70 years old and don’t relish waiting until I am 80. I’ll probably try one when it is 10 in a couple of years and hope for the best.

Jonathan,

I’ll be 74 tomorrow. I’m buying wine to lay down. In the likely event that I’m not around to drink all of it, somebody else will.

Just be sure that your heirs are aware of all of your storage locations and don’t move to Glamis Castle.

Dan Kravitz

Certainly my experience with the 2014. Hopefully it will improve over time, but not certain. The 3-4 bottles I have tried have been dark and ungiving. I am a huge fan of Pegau from the 90s vintages. More recently, love the 2012, the 2015-2016 are as good as reported, can’t wait to try 2017, and drank through cases of the 2011 at sub-$30. I WANT to like the 2014 but it hasn’t “clicked” …yet…