TN: 2014 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly

I paid $70 for my '17s.

I paid $40 for my '14s.

It’ll all be triple digits soon.

The problem is wine searcher… the thing is used by retailers to post silly asking prices to drive the prices up. The worst (or best if you are in the Business) tool invented that brought the wine bubble… so sad!
Time to drink water… [scratch.gif]

I paid £18 IB for the 11s vs £30 for the 18s. That’s a 7.6% compound increase. PYCM remains the only allocation I have kept as he has been incredibly fair in his pricing despite having more ability to jack up his prices than almost any other producer.

1 Like

So you do not buy anymore red Burgundy?.. well done …if you can keep on with it… I probably need to follow suite

1 Like

Correct. Gave up all my red allocations (fourrier, mugneret gibourg etc etc) after the 14 vintage.

I enjoyed a 2010 Champlots over the weekend…sensational wine…still on the youthful side.

I hate to see the consumers taken advantage of,
we imported a few pallets of 2017 just arriving now and we sold out at $48.45/bt , for St. Aubin.
now we only have the other brothers, Philippe, Bruno, and friends, Marc Morey, Paul Pillot,
the only PYCM is a Chass. 1er Cru, Chenovottes…
I did post on this site as I know many Berserker would appreciate…

1 Like

2014 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly
This is hitting its stride. Substantial wine, the attack builds to a crescendo of smells, flavors and textures. Gun flint, mixed citrus, pineapple and petrichor. Dense and luscious yet airy and crisp. I really liked this bottle. But what’s with the punt and weight like a champagne bottle?

Cheers,
Warren
IMG_9786.jpeg
IMG_9785.jpeg

Premox paranoia @Warren.

Goes hand in hand with the ginormous cork and wax capsule.

1 Like

Crush offered this wine in mags recentt for $270

Interesting, the Domaine is not even close to charging the distributors/importers anything close to the prices
seen on the market.

Time & quality raises price. Five years ago I paid $50/bottle for this. As good as it is, $270 is still too much in my book. It’s certainly not the Domaine that’s hiking up the price…it’s the 3 tier system at it’s best. Any they all think they’re doing us a favor rather than allowing Direct sourcing from the wineries to keep the prices lower for “the people”.

IIRC we had the 2015 vintage of this wine and it was $45~$55. Most recent vintage was closer to $80 unfortunately. In San Francisco for reference

Revisiting this thread. And curious what @Rodrigo_B thought last week.

I thank whoever was generous to bring a magnum last week. But I don’t get it. And not for the first time with PYCM. It’s possible this mag was just shut down, but I found it to be potentially fatally reduced and so stylized and heavy. The contrast for me to a wonderful bottle of 1999 Jadot (Heretiers) Corton Charlemagne side by side, singing in classical from, was telling. Just a “no” for me on the PYCM; I couldn’t even finish my small pour. Which is all bizarre in a sense because other people loved it despite the dominance of overwhelming reduction that I would have thought would have abated after this much time in bottle.

For my taste his brother Joseph is making wines in St Aubin that I feel much more connection to. And this PYCM is light years from the magical wines from Olivier Lamy.

I continue not to get the love for the PYCM wines. No elegance. No joy.

3 Likes

Oops

I usually like many PYCM and certainly don’t mind if there’s a good chunk of reduction in a wine, but my impressions of the 2014 PYCM mag were in line with yours—sadly all reduction and no fruit. I actually grabbed that bottle upon tasting to do a double take and see if I read the vintage correctly with how tight and overly reductive it was.

Over the last couple of months I tasted a fair amount of the 13 and 14 PYCM range. I consistently struggled with the St. Aubins—relatively little or no fruit and the signature PYCM heavy reduction don’t make for a great combo unless you like a one-dimensional wine. The Chassagne and Meursault wines I tried faired much better.

Haven’t for one second regretted that decision given how nuts the pricing has become.

1 Like

That doesn’t make any sense if you were getting allocations below market pricing.

1 Like

It kinda does if you consider allocation pricing too high to drink them and don’t want the hassle of reselling.

1 Like

Everyone had their own personal sensibility as to whether a wine is worth the price it commands. If Dan didn’t find it worth the price in 2014 it makes little sense to continue to purchase the wines.

I’m also not the biggest fan of people who buy to immediately resell at a higher price :man_shrugging:

1 Like