TN: 2015 Bedrock Wine Co. Bedrock Heritage Wine

I’m not Alex but I do this so my answer is this. Initially, no. I was learning and I didn’t have a cellar full of wine with age on it so I drank a lot of young wine when I was starting out. However, through friends, tastings, finding older wines in shops and eventually through holding my own bottles I discovered that most of what I drink taste better at about 7+ years from vintage. Then what followed was a big cellar expansion from about 300 bottles to close to 2000 so that the average age can drift to about that 7 year mark. Now that my cellar has the depth I need, even $20 bottles that I think will benefit will be aged.

Thanks!
So all your daily drinkers have 7 years on them? I guess if you can afford a 2000 bottle inventory that may not be an issue. I’m obviously coming from a more frugal mindset.

Brian, no worries! And I don’t age everything, not even remotely! Bedrock OVZ though, absolutely!

My strategy has always been to suss out the aging potential of any wine when I taste it. I’m still aging a ton of 2009 Bojos, many of them priced below $20 (if not $15 in some instances). Bunches of “cheap” Muscadet as well. Too many CA wines to even begin listing that were in the $20-$30 range. Opened up a $20 2008 Two Hands Some Days Are Diamonds Cab made by TRB that was unbelievably good just a couple weeks ago.

Should also qualify that by “aging” I’m referring to cellaring certain wines for just 1-2 years before drinking, which is often ideal for wines like the Bedrock OVZ. That said, I firmly believe the North Coast Syrah will be at it’s best after 4-5.

Opened up a $20 2008 Two Hands Some Days Are Diamonds Cab made by TRB that was unbelievably good a couple weeks ago.

Should end this little price rant by stating that I first seriously got into wine about 15 years ago while in my early 20s. Subscribed to WS first followed by WA. Bought the Stevenson book, followed by Parker, Jancis, Kramer, Coates, Bonné, etc. Started lurking on the forums. Went through the WSET Intermediate and Advanced courses.

You know the one thing I’ve truly learned, after all of these years?

The most important thing?

How to buy bottles of wine within my budget sweet spot of $10-$40 and never be disappointed.

(even from the supermarket!)

I think you also have to take into account that Morgan releases his zins a little earlier than most (Carlisle, for example’ usually offers their appellation and OVZ a good 9 months + later than BR)… hence why even the OVZ shines even more after a year or so in the cellar.

Of course you can drink it right away and it’s still damn tasty…but I agree with Alex it’s better to wait a little bit on this one if possible (even if it is only $19)

^^^So much this.

Absolutely.

It’s just soooooo much better with a few years on it, at least to my palate.

Most but not all. Two incomes, no kids helps a lot.

DINKLOW

Double income, no kids, lots of wine!

SITKNEW

And on the other side, POOR, which stands for three kids under five, new van payment, and preschool bills. :wink:

Or Scott’s acronym works too. :slight_smile:

So…No mentions of 2014 vs 2015 capacity for early-drinking?

They could both use a few years.

Maybe (I think) an off-bottle, but opened a 2011 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Evangelho Vineyard a couple weeks ago and it was shot. Slightly oxidized, weird, jammy/balsamic mid palate. Odd since the cork was fine and color looked deep purple. But the more it was open, the more balsamic and oxidized flavors came through to point of being undrinkable. I dont think it was the most aged Bedrock I’ve had, but it threw me for a loop.

Thank goodness a 2012 Lorenzo’s the next evening was drinking quite nicely.