TN: 2015 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Chateau Thébaud

Completely agree with this.

You all inspired me. Just dropped a '15 Gorges into a decanter.
Heading up to the corner to Kimball House in a little bit to pick up a to-go order of 2 dozen Island Creek oysters.
Going to be a good night!
IMG-1572.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement on 2017!

I’ve never had the Thebaud, love hearing about different folks impressions vs the Briords. If it better than the a Briords in great vintages, then I gotta get some!

I had the exact same reaction as you Brian, although I did note that it was brighter and more balanced on day 2:

“The nose still shares the focused lemon, seaspray and chalk as the Briords, but in the mouth, it’s not nearly as sharp/linear/acidic as the Briords (although it may also partly be 2015). This cuvee seems to be all about soft minerals and a silky, lustrous texture. Has more structure and needs a bit of air to start unfurling. I would say slightly disappointing compared to Briords, but perhaps I need to not look at it in that context. Better on day 2 - more brightness emerges to balance the softness. 90”

The 2015 Gorges is still a firecracker. So much stacked in here, even with a decant. You can feel the wine scouring your gums seconds later. A laser beam-powerful wine. I keep drinking these, but I need to leave some alone for a while.

Lol! That’s funny! And this is one of many reasons why this hobby is so much fun. [cheers.gif]

FWIW, Eric Asimov (NYTimes) recently recommended the 2014 Thebaud:

“This is one of my favorite Muscadets from one of my favorite Muscadet producers. It’s made from a parcel of vines grown in a particular sort of fissured granite, and is aged for more than four years before it’s released. It’s dense, with great minerality, a creamy texture and incisive acidity, yet still light on its feet. If you adhere to the old “R” month myth for eating oysters, this is your perfect September wine. It will also go beautifully with other shellfish and seafood preparations, and with creamy sauces.”

RT

Just received a case of Thebaud ‘14s. Opened the first bottle last night and enjoyed half as apero. Will finish the other half this eve. Brilliant wine and would bury many Chablis AC wines and costs less.

Good to know. I always love this wine, and recently picked up a case at auction for $160 including commission.

Had the '15 Gorges last week. It is drinking really well.

Good news for the Domaine this article. Maybe a bit lesser for us already into this wine… :wink: Can any local guess what the impact is of such an NYT review is?

Asimov recommends a lot of wine. It was one of a dozen in the article. There might be a sales bump but I doubt it’s going to cause much of a longer-term market move.

RT

Killer wine and great price, well done Marshall.

These are wines you just buy every year due to the beauty of vintage diversity and the wines are never pondering or heavy regardless of vintage.