TN: 2015 Domaine Robert Arnoux / Arnoux-Lachaux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Reignots

As you may well know, it’s not so much the producer as it is the southern plots on Reignots that are just north of La Romanee that are so desirable… where Liger-Belair and Arnoux-Lachaux are situated.

There’s also precedent for well in to the four figure Vosne 1ers from Cros Parantoux and Leroy’s Beaux Monts.

I hope the new wine making at the Domaine justifies the rising costs; I’ve been underwhelmed by wines from here over the past 15 years or so, and they weren’t cheap to begin with!

Curious as to the answer of this question. Cathiard’s vines are getting older which has improved the quality of his version. Maybe that has helped but I am not sure what has caused the vineyard to jump to the very top of the Vosne Romanee premier cru pricing tree. If Arnoux-Lachaux made a barrel of Malconsorts, would it really be priced like this?

Reignots’ rise is pretty simple: A quantities are tiny, the producers are top notch, and it’s right next to La Romanee—so the notion is you can get kinda-sorta La Romanee quality at a discount. The same way that people (including me) buy C-M Combe d’Orveau in part because it’s right next to Musigny.

The Malconsorts comparison is kind of apt, but my impression is that Malconsorts is bigger with more variable quality and producers.

No, Liger-Belairs Reignots is less than half off domaine ! It may be different in the market though …

Robert,
with all due respect - as an importer of Arnoux you might not be totally objective …
I had my fair share of Arnoux Reignots … we can discuss if it´s actually on the Suchots level, but it´s more than double the price of Suchots now …
Yes, quantities are far less …

I had my last bottle of 2010 Liger-Belair VR Aux Reignots a few years ago.
My friend who doesn’t really like young Burgs and has a ton of experience (Joel) said
it was the greatest young Burgundy he had tasted. Unfortunately, I can no longer afford Liger-Belair Reignots nor now
close to $1000 Arnoux.

There is no doubt now that Arnoux’s Reignots have skyrocketed in quality just tasting this 2015 versus a prior 2007.
Whether it is close to the quality of Liger-Belair is to be determined. This 2015 is fantastic.
FWIW.

Liger-Belair Reignots is now a $1,500+ wine on the U.S. secondary market. Most expensive red 1er on the market? (Coche Perrieres must be the most expensive 1er, period.)

I paid $325 for my 2010 and had pinch myself. That was when Clos du Chateau was about $100. Now Clos du Chateau is $375 and Reignots is $1200++ Crazy.

It’s crazier than that: with diligence you may be able to find it for less, but current W-S pricing for the Clos du Chateau in 15/16 is in the $750+ range (vying with Coche for world’s priciest villages)

100% - Sums it up perfectly. It’s really that Southern part of the vineyard, plus the rarity, (and producers) that make these two unicorns.

Gerhard, did you taste 2017 or 2018? I have tasted all the wines from barrel since Charles took over and for me there is a major step in 2017. You can’t compare the energy of the wines from 17 and 18 with anything made before that. I agree that Suchots was always the better wine, untill 2016. The winemaking style has been completely changed, for example the wines have now much less maceration, in 2018 some of the wines were pressed after 8 (!) days fermentation, the viticulture has changed completely, less new oak, shorter élevages tout court.

Talking about off-domaine …

Roumier Amoureuse is the most expensive premier cru, Rouget Cros Parantoux up there also.

Yeah forgot about Roumier.

I would have bought this if they shipped to Ohio: Wine & Liquor Store in Chelsea New York, NY 10011 - Chelsea Wine Co - Chelsea Wine Vault

I shall take comfort in “precise like Bruno Clavelier Combe d’Orveaux” and simply keep buying and drinking that for a bottle ratio of > 6:1 :slight_smile:!

for some reason Reignots has always been very hard to buy in NZ, and now sadly it is quite hard to get a decent Arnoux allocation at all.

I have the 17s in my cellar.

I don´t quite get it: Aux Reignots is West of La Romanée (not South), and moreover bordering Petits Monts to the North.
However Arnoux-L owns only 0.2 ha.

when you aspire to make wines like leroy i am sure it helps to also price them as such

What ? This is ridiculous. What kind of chump would buy this wine ? You’d have to be a complete moron to pay these prices. LOLOLOL. I guess PT Barnum is right.