TN: 2015 Foradori Teroldego Sgarzon

Well for sure it is the smaller towns and villages that provide the more idyllic experience. However for a bit larger town I find Trento nice. Still remember the hotel’s bar vividly, a beautiful space.

FWIW the standard ‘Foradori’ (what was Teroldego Rotaliano) can be just as appealing as the Granato in youth, though the Granato should shine a decade or more down the line. Both are aged in wood, so feel very normal (natural wines, but you’d struggle to guess).

I think the natural wine persona comes through stronger on the Tinajas aged Morei and Sgarzon, but neither are ‘beardy weirdos’. I’m not sure on whether I like the Nosiola (a grape I enjoy - and adore in Vino Santo form), but I have another bottle that’s going to get a bit of bottle age. The Incrocio Manzoni bottle will get tried younger. I’ve yet to try the new entry red, but would be keen to do so.

When in Italy, we generally go for apartments (oddly not Airbnb, as we were in the habit of hunting them down before they came along, and never did make the switch to them). We love the flexibility, space and greater embedding in the culture / community, plus it allows me to graze the local food shops - e.g. some of the Malga cheeses locally were really enjoyable.

For those new to the country / language, I can however see the importance of the support that a hotel offers, of good round the clock (typically impartial) advice/help. However also worth considering the agriturismi, some of which will offer that same support, but more attentive/tailored (e.g. Tetto Garone in Cuneo, where the host is passionate about his region, and really enjoys helping guests find what is right for them). The produce is often excellent, and when they do evening meals, they are often hearty banquets where pacing yourself becomes vital, and often for far too little money. For those visiting the wine regions (e.g. the Langhe) there is also the option of staying in winery apartments, which makes life all too easy!

Pretty much “wow!” was all I could say when first looking at the view from the apartment (and practically every apartment will have such a view). Mountains, lake, some village, and no filler. Typically lots of greenery / colourful flowers in the (large) village as well. Walking is wonderful, but energetic for sure. Food is hearty, but not in danger of being described as ‘fine’. Ditto for most of the apartments (alpine ski chalet style, functional, clean, but a little utilitarian if being picky). That said, there are some good food shops around, and this not too far away was a lovely treasure trove of all the foods you might want https://www.labottegadellebonta.com/

Not saying this is the best place in the area though - we’ve not explored enough yet

We, whether the best or not it sounds quite perfect to me. The food shop seems fantastic as well. Here’s to hoping that we can head there in summer 2021… pileon