TN: 2015 Ocean Spray Cran-Cherry (no sugar added)

In that case I’ll withdraw my rec.

How about Maysara Jamsheed 2010? It is sheer raspberry all through nose and palate, only after a few days in the bottle you can catch a hint of toasty pinot note.

There’s a bit of acid in Cameron’s wines. May have to retract that suggestion, but it might be a nice compromise.

I’d suggest a lot of boots-on-the-ground research. Time for some wine recon. Winter is a great time to visit the willamette valley. Cold. Rainey. Warm cozy uncrowded tasting rooms. Small intimate restaurants. A Perfect time. Shhh. Don’t tell anyone.

Dennis, I’m experiencing a bit of disconnect here.

On one hand, I can think of a number of obvious choices for ripe, dark, crowd-pleasing pinots, at a range of prices. As far as ones that are still good wines and not Meoimi type cougar juice, you could be looking at producers like Siduri and Loring, which are easily available and reasonably priced.

On the other hand, the description of sugar free Cran Cherry connotes something very different to me, more like crisp Anderson Valley type pinots like Navarro and Copain.

I guess figuring out which wines hit her sweet spot is the very process you’re going through, so good luck. I may email you with an idea or two.

She will like this…

http://www.chasseurwines.com/

Meomi as a substitute for aged Ponsot?

Well, no… it was horrible. Not sweet at all and the fruit was bad. Just a terrible concoction.

That’s my experience with meomi. I liked a bottle once but not since.

I don’t know about this particular Ocean Spray product, but “no sugar added” usually does not preclude artificial sweeteners (which I think is misleading but that’s a rant for another day). So I wouldn’t necessarily assume this isn’t sweet.

While certainly not the most practical advice, I like the idea of loading up on various 1ers from a handful of Côte de Beaune subregions and aging them for 15+ years. These usually lack the structure and depth of their more expensive counterparts, but really hit their red fruit stride once they reach 15-20 years of age.

Dennis,

Taking a little bit of a stab in the dark, I might suggest finding a decent value Pinot from Central Otago in New Zealand. They have a neat mix of sunny zip and rich ripeness (IMHO).

I don’t know about artificial sweeteners being “snuck” into the formula, but the ingredients don’t mention one thing about any type of sweetening agent at all. It’s still a sweet drink compared to every recommendation here and my wife hasn’t even remotely liked any. [head-bang.gif] I appreciate the attempts though.

I just tonight described the Ayres 2010 Rodger’s Lane Pinot to my wife as pomegranate, cranberry, cherry. Lots of 2010 Wv Pinots have that profile, but you won’t find many still on the shelves. NZ Central Otago is a good suggestion, or Anderson Valley in a cool year.

P Hickner

1. Buy some Mark West Pinot.

2. Buy bottle of Ocean Spray Cran-Cherry.

3. Feed wife Mark West.

4. Evaluate.

5. Add splash or more of Cran-Cherry to Mark West as required.

6. Buy more Ponsot.

7. Optional- Open really mind bending great mature Burgundy for wife. Depending on result, either go back to 1 or buy a bunch of really great Burgundy.

Fruit juice is very sweet. As mentioned above, it has more sugar than Coke, which is why I suggested a wine with RS. Sorry it disappointed!

Michael

That product line uses apple and/or grape juice for sugar instead of the high-fructose corn syrup in their regular line. Just as sweet, but tastes slightly better.

Besides the apple and grape juice, I saw plum juice in there too - all from concentrate.