TN: 2016 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

As I formerly said about Angelo Germano, Barolo is not Bordeaux … can be drunk earlier … Time will tell about the real capacity of aging …
Jeremy above : “By no means a crime to drink now”.

I love aged Barolo and drink plenty of stuff from the '50’s, '60’s and '70’s. This is one of the very few young Barolo wines where I am simply happy to drink my remaining bottles now, as it is sheer perfection. It may improve but I’m not sure how you improve on perfection?

2 Likes

Time will tell about this wine in particular. But if you’re still questioning the ageability of nebbiolo in general, time has already told. Again and again and againandagainandagainandagain…

I’ve opened 1 of 3 bottles and have found myself thinking the same thing. Aging could only lead to disappointment!

Once again, I quoted that Fabio arrived recently at the domain … We clearly saw with him, in 2015, that old Burlotto wines were not as brilliant …
We ended with some disappointment for Monvigliero 1998 and 1997. Did you taste them ?

The aging of Bordeaux can also be an issue if you consider the fact that styles have changed through times (including Parker’s specific taste and climate change). Beware any generalization …

Since we are talking of some of the best reds in the world, comparing Rayas 2016, Leroy Musigny 2016, Ausone 2016 and Monvigliero 2016 (and even Cannubi 2016) would be a great challenge. Add a modern or semi modern 2016 Barolo and an ethereal Jamet Côte-Rôtie 2016 if you wish …

If anyone has bottles in the cellar, the 2007 Monvigliero is in an excellent spot right now.

Great idea, I’m in. I could bring some apples and oranges to meaningfully complete the line-up. I say we gotta please ourselves cause nobody else will. champagne.gif

It seems wrong for you to leave out bananas. My neighbor used to make banana wine. newhere

1 Like

I have mentioned this a couple times in previous Burlotto Monvig threads. I hadn’t really thought about it too hard before but I think this might be the most impressive wine at release that I’ve ever tried. In terms of complexity, balance, accessibility and singularity, Burlotto Monvig is probably the finest wine you can buy and open right away. Why am I writing this on a public forum, am I a damn fool??

Hell, go on then, why not… but only as long as we’re talking about one of the best banana wines in the world, and, of course, we all know which those would be. We don’t want too much disparity in terms of relative class, do we.

However, there is still some debate on just how long these can age… [wink.gif]

Speaking of which, I just had one recently that was so shot it put a huge dent in my faith in the entire ehm genre. BTW, I have a very detailed, 4-page tasting note which I could forward to you if you’re a bit strange that way. Some mates were there, too, they wrote it up as well. Think I’m full of crap? Oh well. You had to be there… [cheers.gif]

1 Like

The Monvigliero 2007 was not in the verticale in 2015.
The 2008 and 2006 were excellent/great.
The Monvigliero 2004 was excellent too.

The disillusionment came after with 2001, 1999, 1998 and 1997 … when many great wines vertical tastings become even more thrilling … and I think Fabio Alessandria anticipated it (he reads in fruits, knowing his own history and the history of the domain) :slight_smile:

Too bad, the tasting could have be a global magic (see Chave, Mission Haut-Brion, Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre, Rayas, …) … and I have no doubt about the absolute beauty of the youngest vintages … I will test that in january 2022 with a 2016 horizontale (without Sandrone or Voerzio, thinking that wood is no appropriate for grenache and nebbiolo).

The last Rayas vintage I could by at the domain is 2008 …
2009 and 2010 will follow in 2022.

Jeremy or anyone who has had one recently
Did you decant or just open and follow along for a bit ? I’m bringing one to dinner tomorrow night.

thanks

Pop and pour and watch it breathe up in the glass.

1 Like