TN: 2016 Domaine du Coulet Cornas Brise Cailloux + Weird Cork!

Glad that I now understand “épaulé”

I would’ve been surprised had there been any concrete eggs, since even the very first ones have been made on this side of the millennium!

But yeah, most likely you aren’t going to see those larger, old-school concrete vats in smaller wineries, because they can be just too large for a small production. Normally I’ve seen them being used at bigger producers.

I seem to recall that Cuchet-Beliando uses concrete vats, but I think there was some confusion regarding whether large used wood vats were involved as well. Do you know?

Lyle doesn’t say anything about concrete with Cuchet. In an offer of the wines, he said “Cuchet raises it traditionally in old barrels for 2 years and then holds it back in bottles for 3 years.”

And JLL states:

“Syrah (1976, mainly 1978, 1981) from decomposed granite soils from 1 plot on Chaillot, whole bunch 2-3 week vinification, cap punching, raised 7-10 year 228-litre oak casks 12 months, wine kept in bottle 3-4 years pre-sale, unfined, unfiltered, 1,000-1,500 b”

But his last vintage tasted was 2003, so who knows.

From a 2016 blog posting by Lyle:

Cuchet-Belliando - Talk about old school, they believe Allemand and Clape are making modern wine in Cornas! This Cornas sees no wood and is aged in concrete for 6 years. The current release is 2010. This is rarer than any wine on this list. Monster old school Cornas with insane structure and freshness. So mineral. Will last 35 more years. Monumental wines. Made by very eccentric people, these wines are impossible to get.

It’s a mystery!