TN: 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Oakville Farmhouse (USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville)

Amazing tasting notes! [cheers.gif]

I have had Cabs that screamed “Oakville”, but never anything like a Zin/mixed blacks.

From the Wayback Machine page for the School House winery’s website (via Internet Archive):

"History - The Vineyard and the Wines:

“The original vines of which a few still produce red wine grapes were propagated in1890. This block was the classic mixed-black field blend, a very common vineyard planting technique of the times. Interplanted were Zinfandel, Carignane, Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouchet and Grand Noir, and several other varieties which were picked together and vinified into deep dark red table wine…”.

• 2015 Bedrock Wine Co. Oakville Farmhouse - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (1/10/2021)
    Notes from Day 2. Tobacco, cedar, graphite, cassis and black currant greet the nose. I would say it screams Oakville but someone else stole that line. [wink.gif]
    Earthy black raspberry, spice, layered, great depth and balance. Chalky tart finish, more spice. On par with every other vintage I’ve tasted, meaning it’s freaking awesome. Still lots of room to evolve and soften but being able to pull the different nuances of a young wine is half the fun for me. My other bottle gets stashed in the growing vertical.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I had the last glass of the 2017 tonight, and honestly it had not changed much. It was still all about dirt, and not about fruit.

F7A732A6-58DD-4329-A121-92361F0F43E4.jpeg
David, if you think you’re not an influencer, think again! Watch out Fu :wink:

I lobbed in an early bid around $65 and got blown away. Was definitely thinking the same thing about some newfound excitement from this group.

Expensive weekend! [swoon.gif]

Thanks again for the extended look David - appreciate it!

And damn…final hammer on Winebid was high! No doubt a direct correlation to this thread!

I wasn’t looking. What was the final number?

Looks like $113 [wow.gif]

Given what high quality Oakville Cabernet goes for that’s not so bad.

A very good point! A relative bargain compared to cabs from the area! But $113 is substantially higher than I’ve ever seen an Oakville Farmhouse (or any Bedrock wine other than the Weil syrah series) sell for. I think you need to stop posting notes :wink:

There won’t be any additional Oakville Farmhouse notes for a while. That should cool down the market. :wink:

1 Like

Glad I was able to buy these on release. Have them tucked away at my off site to resist the urge to open young.

• 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Oakville Farmhouse - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (6/22/2023)
    I thought I was going to wait many years to open my final bottle of the 2017 Oakville Farmhouse, but I really wanted to have something special, and I spotted this bottle prior to dinner and grabbed it. It didn't even get a decant. Turns out it really didn't need it. From the beginning it had an approachability and depth that made it an absolute pleasure to drink. Yes there were some rough edges. It's not resolved, and in that case not "ready." That said I don't really know what "ready" means other than the wine provides a lot of pleasure without having to puzzle out what's going on. The fruit is still quite fresh, the aromatics complex and elevated - as I said about a bottle two years ago, this smells like it comes from Oakville. It was only through great strength of willpower that I was able to save a healthy glass for another night. I kept saying "this is just amazing" out loud, as I went back for another small splash three separate times. So much depth of material to explore here, but I don't know as I would get more visceral pleasure from this wine than I did last night.
5 Likes