TN: 2017 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley

On their website for 2018 Napa bottlings they list it as French.

“ The 2018 vintage rested in French oak barrels for 16 months, developing flavors of vanilla and baking spice. Velvety tannins dance across the palate of bright and lingering cassis. With a smooth finish, this is a comforting wine of elegance and depth—a sophisticated expression of the sedate summer.”

Thanks for the info. Wonder what prompted the oak change?

You’re referencing their new Timeless wine, which is from Napa.

The Silver Oak Napa is still done using American Oak (at least predominantly), per their 2017 specs.

Interesting that their product sheets on their website don’t list oak type except as noted above.

One of my wife’s absolute favorite wines. Shockingly is the other cabs that she adores, which are in NO way similar: William and Mary, Ridge Monte Bello, Di Costanzo…

1 Like

I hate wine snobbery and judgement .

2 Likes

Of course there is - that’s what they make all their money on, not the rare bottles in the cellar. I heard somewhere how much Caymus they sell in a week and it’s absolutely extraordinary. Mind-blowing numbers. it’s a business, and their people love Caymus, so they will sell as much as they can!

1 Like

I caught a big load of shit when I posted an attempted humor over the top note on a 2013.

However, the two anecdotal experiences were telling. I was gifted an 07&13 straight from the winery. On two occasions, a group of 6-9 tasters convened and tried it double blind amongst other cabs and Cali reds. Half of these tasters REALLY like and have tasted widely in Napa/Sonoma cabs. On both occasions, it was ranked among the bottom 20% of wines served. None of us guessed it, and there just wasn’t anything good or interesting.

So it’s not all about snobbery. We gifted the remainder of the 13 to neighbors who were very impressed at our generosity. I’d call it a win!

Silver Oak owns their own American White Oak ‘forests’ in Missouri. They harvest and season everything in house.

Hopefully locals! Can you imagine going there and ordering Caymus with all the other discoveries on the list.

Back when Caymus rocked also! That will be interesting on how it is drinking. Make sure to add a note on the board.

1 Like

I agree. I suspect that some people mentally categorized it as “expense account steakhouse wine for the unsophisticated” and just assumed that meant it was super ripe and extracted, but it was never actually that.

I have very limited experience with both, Silver Oak and Caymus, still I don’t understand why people put both of them in the same bucket. Regardless of the style, I find Silver Oak Alexander Valley to be wine that I can drink with great pleasure (At least up to 2008, that was the latest vintage that I have tasted), while I was never able finish a glass of Caymus. When it comes to the Silver Oak Napa Valley, I only tried it once at the tasting room (It was the 2007 IIRC) and as many have mentioned earlier in this thread, I found to like the AV better than the NV.

Today, day after it was even better and that slight bitter note was gone.

I would rather drink the 1978 Guigal Cote du Rhone at $12.50 a glass. Surprised how much life it still had.

2 Likes

I loved Caymus SS until 1991, or so.

It’s very interesting to see the evolution of a winery’s wine over time, and over time.

We actually still have a 1974 “North Coast” Silver oak that was lovely when we last tried.

And the Bonny’s of the era can do battle with high class Bordeaux. 1983-1988 were bangers…but truly much better old than young.

Then things changed and they arrived at their current level of regard, but I think the past 5 years, or so, have seen Nate Weiss doing a great job. If you signed of during the previous era, give a new release a try, or hit the winery to check it out. They are very nice people, too!! [cheers.gif]

Just standing in the Sonoma location’s wine library is fun.

1 Like

Except some people here on WB don’t have that kind of money. Or say they don’t and cry poverty and buy Davenport. Or maybe they are wasting their money on Porsches. Or all the above?

Or they can’t use their real name on wine berserkers because they don’t want people to know who they are.

My name is Bruce Klein. Happy? I don’t mind anyone here knowing my name.
I believe I am keeping with WB rules.
And my name is shown as such for good reasons.