TN: 2017 Tyler Dierberg Vineyard Chardonnay

You can always drink less expensive wine and yearn for something better. Intensive viticulture rarely results in value priced wines. Justin Willett has been fanatical on his sourcing for the last 10+ years and is making some of the most expressive wines in all of California. The French influence is very clear. I’ m developing my tasting spreadsheet on the Central Coast issue and looking at the scores for his wines (and I just smile).

Well, I bought 2 Tyler Chards, was excited to try them, gave them both a short decant…both were 2017 Dierberg…both were corked. Super disappointed.

Oh no! Can you return them for replacements hopefully?

I don’t know, I bought them via retail, through a channel I don’t have any longer. It was quite a bummer.

Justin’s wines joined the Skurnik portfolio right before I left and I really only had one chance to taste them but remember feeling like the Chardonnay bottlings really, really stood out. He also encouraged reps to show the general appellation Pinot on its own, not next to the single vineyards, because the quality of that wine punched way above its weight class. Pretty sure I agreed. Haven’t tried them in a while but will circle back.

I hear you, they poured Pinot and their Cabernet in addition to the Chards. If I was rich I would have purchased everything I could have of all the wines I tasted. But to your point the magic is really in the Chards.

Sucks dude. Maybe try contacting the winery and see if they’d hook you up - I have no idea what their policy is.