TN: 2018 Elyse Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

Thanks all. Will be grabbing a few bases on the recommendations.

This thread is making me blush! You are all too kind.

2017 Elyse Napa Valley Cab is our current release, but 2018 is soon to come. Like the 2017, 2018 will be $55 retail. Our standard club pricing is 20% off, so club members usually get it for $44. Discussing with Josh if we can push up the 2018 Napa Cab release a bit. The Fall release has soooo many wines right now, and we are running low on 2017 Napa cab.

Fall release will include several 2018 SVD cabs under $100: Holbrook Mitchell Vineyard Cab $65 (Yountville AVA), Morisoli Vineyard Cab $85 (Rutherford AVA), and our very own “estate wine”: Elyse Vineyard Cab $95 (Yountville AVA). Nick, was your comment about “prestigious neighbors” in reference to Morisoli? [wink.gif]

1 Like

For my 21st Bday, my Uncle opened a 94 Morisoli vineyard vineyard from Whitehall lane. I know it’s not Elyse, but the Morisoli vineyard is magical, and obviously surrounded by great neighbors!

Hi! Posting this in hopes it saves more of you from emailing us. (THANK YOU, BTW!!) pileon

Our spring club season is over ( it runs in February, and we don’t produce enough to make it more ambient), but since we’re so close to hitting the pan on 2017 Napa Valley, we will be releasing the $55 Elyse 2018 Napa Valley Cab sometime over the next month after we upgrade our website. If we have enough for it to make sense, we’ll also add in the $45 2018 Dry Creek Petite Sirah.

You can sign up on our homepage and indicate interest in the Fall release, as well. Fall will have 18 Morisoli Zin, 18 Korte Zin, 18 Dry Creek Zin, 18 Morisoli Cab, 18 Tietjen, 19 Le Corbeau Syrah. There isn’t a tremendous amount of our classics like Morisoli to offer, so we are hopeful a more detailed sign up form helps us elevate some new clients who enjoy Russell’s winemaking style into earlier stages of the release process. We greatly appreciate the patience as we figure this out! [highfive.gif]

2 Likes

I became a club member about a month ago. Cheryl and Melissa have provided prompt and excellent customer service. FedEx did a number on my first shipment and Melissa promptly resolved the issue.

1 Like

Thank you so much! FedEx and UPS are a hot mess right now. Great to hear that Melissa took care of you.

My wife and I visited the Elyse winery early in our Napa travel days, maybe 18 years ago. Haven’t heard much from the winery, or about it, and found myself wondering recently if they are still around. It’s one of those original “near and dear” winery names from our early days! I am happy to see this thread here!

Has the winery changed ownership at all over these years? It seems that there is a new wine maker for 2018 per the OP’s excellent note at the top of this thread. Would love to know a bit about the story over these years…

EDIT TO ADD: I just read that the winery changed hands in 2018. Congratulations Cheryl!

Well, you’ve convinced me. I just signed up for the six bottle club and I’m looking forward to the fall releases. Thanks for coming on here, Cheryl, and talking about the wines and new things going on at Elyse. I also appreciate the notes from folks who posted sneak peaks on the 2018s.

As prices continue to increase for some of my favorite wines, it’s nice to find a winery focused on providing solid value.

Andy

Are all the 2018s and after (the reds, at least) made by Russell?

Yes. He’s doing everything. Now that my latest shipment has settled a bit I will be tasting a few more bottles.

Okay, I just signed up, I’m going to give it a spin for a cycle or two and see if it’s the thing for me. I would love to find a source of good Napa reds in a reasonable price range.

David, please share your thoughts on the other bottles. Did you order some of their eclectic reds or roses too?

I picked up a bottle of their Syrah blend, and also a bottle of the Viognier.

Not to mention some additional Cabernet and a Zin.

Ditto

Their Syrah blend was my favorite of the 4 or so wines I’ve tried… but I also like Syrah more than Cab and Zin in general. I really liked everything I tried and would recommend fans of polished, modern Napa wines to check them out. I tried them about 8 months ago, and I imagine they’re even a bit better now since the everything may have had some time to integrate a bit more (although, they were completely approachable back then with wonderfully accommodating tannins).