TN: 2018 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas

#unsupervised

Baller, that’s discipline.

I can’t think of a wine in last decade that made it beyond day 3 for me

Ha, I’m thinking more like teetotaler!

Its rare but usually for me its just about timing. If I get busy I might forget to check in on some leftovers.

2 Likes

^^ This ^^

I pulled a bottle of Ladd Chardonnay out of the fridge last night that was off. I looked back and found I opened it Feb 23rd.

On Day 37…

I wish I could own “discipline” in this context; really, though, it’s just apathy. And, as with Cris, sometimes I legitimately forget I have some of a wine leftover, and it sits much longer than I ever would have intended (once a wine gets to about Day 5 or Day 6 I’ll force the issue and just drink it (or toss it if it’s no longer any good)).

1 Like

Same here.

This reminds me I have two open bottles right now — that I remember (I’ve had my Brian moments). I guess it’ll be the kabi-style Red Newt Riesling while I grill a burger and then the Le Piane Nebbiolo with the burger.

2 Likes

There are rare wines that I purposely let live to night three(or longer in those forgetful moments). Young wines that really require age. For example, I recently bough a few bottles of '14 LdH Gravonia. I popped one to give myself an idea of what drinking window I would give it. It was pretty tight and not all that fun on nights 1 and 2. So I left a glass for night 3…and that was a great idea. Practically a whole new wine. The sweet fruit finally blossomed. Proceeding to bury the rest.

1 Like

Jealous as all hell if you found those Gravonia locally. Good job!!

1 Like

Just a lucky day. I should really make a Wine Searcher alert. For some reason I noticed speak of '14 Gravonia I think on CT. Hit up WS and there it was at Hi-Times. I grabbed their last four bottles before I could talk myself out of it.

1 Like

You would have been crazy to talk yourself out of it. Gravonia, once upon a time, used to be a very easy/casual annual purchase of about 3 bottles. Now it seems to be as rare as hen’s teeth (not to mention nearly double the price (still worth it)).

I wish WS alerts would understand location as the important criteria and disregard the current price in, for this example, Spain.

1 Like