TN; 2018 Ridge Geyserville

Spot on Wes.

Got 4 more this week and opened another tonight - it was delicious as usual and perfectly complemented a smoked Duroc pork shoulder [cheers.gif]

Got a great offer locally here in Tampa that Iā€™ve been waiting for.
Iā€™m looking forward to trying this one. How would it compare to 16 ?

cheers

Hah, I got the same, was trying to decide how many to purchase.

1 Like

F.Daner wrote:
Got a great offer locally here in Tampa that Iā€™ve been waiting for.
Iā€™m looking forward to trying this one. How would it compare to 16 ?

My opinion is that I really, really like the 2016 but love the 2018! I would not hesitate to buy the 2018. Hope this helps.

Ed

I stocked up a few of these.

The strategy of buying a case every year has sort of worked well for me. I needed to buy 2 cases every year.

Thanks all. This is my first Ridge purchase since the early 90ā€™s. Six bottles seemed like a lot more than zero, but if all this hype is half right then that wasnā€™t nearly enough. Do you all think CA zin was a home run across the board?

Bought an 18 geyser because of this thread. Is this just pop and pour or give it some air first before diving in?

It would seem so. For more detail, see the ā€œ2018 Zinfandel is Outstandingā€ thread -

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2952557#p2952557

Wine Access has this for $36 per bottle delivered when you buy 6 or more. A pretty good deal in the mid-west.

I have no relationship to them other than as an occasional customer.

In the Wine Access thread, Peter pointed out a 20% off link that can be found at the top of https://top100.winespectator.com, and if you have a $20 off AMEX promo, you can get each bottle for ~$25 shipped.

The 20 percent offer is only for first time customers. Iā€™ve received that previously. There is a $30 statement credit for Wine Access purchases available to Amex card holders now.

The 20% off offer worked for me and another buyer. Just checked and donā€™t have the $30 credit for Wine Access yet. Whatā€™s the new minimum for the credit?

The Amex credits vary per card holder. I was only offered $20 off for a $200 purchase. I believe Wine Access reduces the offer depending on how much one has bought from them in the past ( curiously, the more you buy from them it seems the less the Amex offer).
Incidentally, the 20% off seems to be working for everybody.

1 Like

Opened another last night - you can pnp / follow in the glass, but even a short decant opens it up nicely. We finished the remaining 1/3rd tonight (poured back in bottle, silicone stopper, fridge) and it was sublime.

Iā€™ve opened 10 of these nowā€¦30 min decant is good, and itā€™s really singing after 1.5 - 2 hours. [cheers.gif]

Completely agree about the 2hrs. On initial open we got the maraschino cherry and blueberry but then it settled in to something quite enjoyable. I still like a high quality chianti classico at this price range (like a Fontodi) but this was a nice change of pace with a more fruit forward dry wine.

The Amex credit for Wine Access is $30 per $100 spent up to three times. I bought six, spending $216, so the credit notice I received from Amex was for $60, lowering my per bottle cost to $26. Nice deal!

This wonā€™t ship till mid-January as the Wine Access offer is a pre-order. Thatā€™s OK, Iā€™ve got plenty of other bottles to drink in the meantime.

1 Like

The Amex credit for Wine Access varies. I have had better ones in the past but my current one is $20 per $200 spent up to three times.

Who knew the Promised Land was in Ohio, the land of fixed pricing? Retail plus $10 is astounding.