TN: 2019 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Vieilles Vignes Briords

I compared 2015 Briords with 2014 and posted here 5 years ago.

Here’s the excerpt:

I’m currently having a glass of the 2015 Pepiere Clos de Briords, recently delivered. Compared to the 2014, this is just lower in acidity, more lush, less mineral, and much more approachable today. It has that sweet lemony nose. I will likely drink many bottle of this sooner rather than later. Still a darn good drink, especially for the price. B+

This is my experience as well. A bottle earlier this year was really firing on all cylinders. It had cut like a knife, but also breadth.

I just picked up a few 2020s a couple weeks ago. Anyone tried one yet?

And this is one of the things that makes this hobby so much fun. There are so many moving parts — different palates, serving temperature, glassware, ambient climate, what else (if anything) was the wine consumed with?, the wine’s age, bottle variation, … — all of which can lead to different experiences among different tasters, despite having tasted “the same” wine. [cheers.gif]

Excellent! How do I get bountiless oysters?

I’ve enjoyed the '19 Briords so far. It doesn’t have the verge of some of the really electric vintage, but I’ve actually found the slightly riper balance nice. They’ve certainly come up in price a bit, but still worth a buy every year in my book.

2019 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Vieilles Vignes Briords - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie (9/30/2022)
– bottle opened one day prior to TN –
– tasted non-blind on Day 2 –

NOSE: fairly expressive, with white grapefruit and spearmint dominating.

BODY: very light green-yellow color (nearly colorless); medium-light bodied.

TASTE: medium+ to high acidity; lots of mineral and a fair amount of acidic white grapefruit; better than a couple previous bottles; seems to be a good vintage for this bottling, which is a different take than I had before. Gut impression score: 90 – 91.

2 Likes

Any restaurant that has Peppiere on their wine list is a great wine list in my opinion.

1 Like

Recently did the '19 and '17 side-by-side, which helped push me towards the idea that I may very well prefer these on the younger side.

2017 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie (5/21/2023)
– popped and poured –
– tasted next to the 2019 vintage of the same over a few hours –

NOSE: the '19 was brighter, and more Sauv. Blanc-esque, than the '17; minty fennel note here, as opposed to the fuzzy limey mineral note on the '19.

BODY: light green-yellow color (tad darker on the '17, as expected); medium-light bodied.

TASTE: medium±to-high acidity on both; '17 is bassier than the '19; 12.0% alc. is well-hidden on both; preferred the brighter, zippier, '19, but both were quite enjoyable.

2 Likes

I also tend to prefer Muscadet rather young. Razor sharp acidity with mineral and citrus is what I want out of Muscadet and I find it fades into something rounder and sometimes a bit cidery after a few years. The upper tier Pepiere cuvees handle some age better. The '14 Chateau Thebaud has been consistently awesome. I have one bottle left and will likely drink it soon, but wish I had more.

3 Likes

Back in 2015 and 2016 I had a couple bottles of the 2006 Morandiére Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Les Roches Gaudinières Vieilles Vignes. I enjoyed those bottles immensely, and have ever since had the idea that Muscadet sometimes has the ability to age in a way that I find enjoyable. I have since been coming to the conclusion that those positive ageing experiences with Muscadet are more the exception than they are the rule.