TN: 2019 Elyse Zinfandel Morisoli Vineyard Zieger Block (USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford)

Greg - Wow! WB makes it hard to try to migrate our website system without people finding a few holes during the process! :stuck_out_tongue: Nice find. That site isnā€™t even fully branded yet, itā€™s bare bones. It has Elyse, Addax, and some other brands that custom crush at our facility. We found that so many people wanted to mix cases that we needed a new way to make it all work. When all is said and done over here, Elyse, Addax etc. will have their own sites as well as that one to mix cases, all with the same order/fulfillment flow in the back end.

Larry - I havenā€™t had the 2019 Jacob Franklin Morisoli Zin yet, but you just reminded me I need to order some now that it is out! Jake is working with the oldest block exclusively starting in 2019. The vines shut down too early for Russellā€™s style, but it is perfect for the winemaking techniques that Jake uses - anyone who enjoys lower ABV or ā€œnaturalā€ winemaking should definitely check out his 2018 Grenache as well. It was great news to find out Jake is continuing the legacy. I hope the few family-owned vineyards that still grow some Zinfandel, like Morisoli, will find itā€™s worth holding onto it because of projects like JF. Jake was part of the cellar crew for Elyseā€™s 2018s, as well! I loved the history you shared and the note Elyse has always experimented.

Fred - the 2018 Nero Misto (ā€œMixed Blacksā€) is an homage to field blends. It varies year to year in composition. The 2018 is predominantly York Creek Touriga Nacional, Dry Creek Petite Sirah, and some Charbono. It is made by Russell, but itā€™s Elyseā€™s $35 ā€œTuesday Wineā€ - intense but not fussy, great for an easy night of pasta or pizza. We make everything with the intent it should punch above its weight class, but I wouldnā€™t go into it expecting it to be some sort of QPR version of Next of Kyn Cumulus. According to our tech sheet, pair Nero Misto with Cool Ranch Doritos.

Gonna say hi to someone from WB visiting the tasting room, then back to the website migration before more bugs are foundā€¦

Josh poured me both the 2018 Morisoli zin as well as the 2019 Morisoli Zeiger block zin back in March. The former was fantastic. The latter was definitely Bevan on steroids (I believe 100% new French oak was mentioned). It was really good, but clearly over the top. Now, finally reading this thread I see that thereā€™ll be a ā€œregularā€ 2019 Morisoli also.

I was only on the mailing list, but I just signed up to be on the clubā€™s wait list. Hope Iā€™m not too late. [berserker.gif]

Cheryl,

I think I can speak for many on this board that we all appreciate your detailed explanations and replies. I cannot wait to try the Elyse Zins.

I hate Zins, and I mean that with strong passion. Sorry Zin peeps. [oops.gif]

I visited Elyse, tasted the Zieger block, and I bought Zinsā€”-the stuff is legit! Hate is such a strong word, but the Zieger was that good! And by the way, I still donā€™t like Zins, but I canā€™t wait to pop a Zieger.

2 Likes

I was not too late. I got the Elyse club mailer today champagne.gif

1 Like

Thatā€™s good to hear and theyā€™re gonna try their best to get me in with the upcoming club release.

Update -

Grateful that I was added to their Wine Club!

1 Like

Hello everyone!

We apologize for being a little quiet. Between 2020 fires, COVID, supply chain shortages (donā€™t even get me started on what a pain bottling was), and upgrading our website, it took us a looong time to be certain we were all good to go. I had to go into quiet mode otherwise I would have crumbled. ( OK, I kind of did crumble. [truce.gif] ) Hopefully anyone that e-mailed myself or Melissa has heard back from us, but if we missed anyone please let me know so I can fix it!

\

1. We have organized our inventory and our long time club members orders, so now Iā€™m able to process through waitlists. If you DMed me here and didnā€™t here back, I promise I am about to do that. (Wow, that is a LOT of DMs. pileon ) I am sending waitlist invites in waves, so if you havenā€™t received anything and are worried, just email me at cheryl@elysewinery.com. For people fresh off of the waitlist, we are not auto-processing your order. You will have plenty of time to ask questions, pick what you want, etc. It is the least we can do after the wait.

My deepest apologies to the people who needed more communication from us on the waitlist process. I know it was frustrating to not hear either way, and we are working on the right way to message. In general, weā€™ll have the most clarity on who can be added to the waitlist right when club batch runs, and then we will have the chance to add new members over the following month.

1. The wine club is NOT the only way to get our wine, but we do make a few wines that tend to be wine club exclusive. We try our best to keep flagship wines available for both club and mailing list. Mainstays like Morisoli cab, Napa cab, Mitchell, Dry Creek Zin, etc. are available via mailing list release. We DO occasionally make special blends and Elyse throwbacks (like Lā€™ingenue, a Rhone white) that are club exclusives. Itā€™s not that we donā€™t want to share the wines with more people, itā€™s just that so many of our productions are 4-8 barrels. We donā€™t want to scale anything unless we can keep the quality and soul of the wine the same, and we donā€™t want Russell to ever feel like he needs to make more of a wine if the smaller barrel select is better quality.

2. On our 2018 mailing list release, with all the delays outside of our control, we combined Napa Cab & the 2018s into one release. The start date for that is September 21st. We are sending the ā€œSave the dateā€ next week to our mailing list, so if you have joined our list, look out for that e-mail. (There is a chance we have to buffer the emails across a few days so we can manage our site and phones, and we will make sure you know the exact date to expect via e-mail.)

The best way to sign up for the club waitlist or the 2018 release is using the website so we can keep our ducks in a row, but our amazing fulfillment manager, Melissa ( melissa@elysewinery.com ) is here for you if you have any questions or need assistance in any way!

Thank you all so much. Time for my DMs!

2 Likes

Elyse wine shipment arrived today - looking forward to opening one of the cabs and/or the proprietary after they settle

Weā€™ve opened an 18 Napa cab as well as an 18 Morisoli zin. The cab was very good and balanced, and I thought not as full throttle as some of the other Bevan wines Iā€™ve had (mostly a few different vintages of Ontogeny, which we really like). The zin was a 12 on a scale of 1-10 in terms of oaky intensity. We love big (and young) Napa wines but I was surprised by this one. Will give my other bottle of zin a few years to see if it comes together.

Russel seems to make ratherā€¦ummā€¦intense zins. So far I have really enjoyed them with a cheese course, almost like Port.