TN: A Survey of Allemand

great notes Adrian. I am a fan. I have an 07 Reynard on the lineup in the next few days.

I’m curious if there was a reasoning behind the order/pairing of these vintages? Im not incredibly familiar with N Rhone vintages, was there any rhyme or reason based on expected wine styles?

We didn’t have the 13 – did you mean 12? We decided to pop and pour these and aerate in the glass instead. It’s not the most ideal treatment I’m well aware, but was the simplest logistically.

2004 is at absolute peak right now – it’s been one of the most enjoyable vintages these last few years. Chave, Allemand, Clape, Sorrel, Jamet are all absolutely outstanding.

Report back! Always useful to get a sense of how the “older” ones are doing.

It’s roughly lightest to heaviest, with some exceptions to keep the horizontals together.

Thank you Adrian! I had been vacillating on some 2016 Chaillot and will just go ahead and snaffle it up now…

Yes sorry, I meant 12; typo. If you have it again, would suggest about an hour and a half of a decant, as it’s absolutely gorgeous after that.

I think it’s pretty funny. The most important part of his post are the notes and impressions - valuable to those who like N. Rhone Syrah.

Try to relax a little.

Don’t be ridiculous. Parker said it was an inferior vintage in the N. Rhone so you must be mistaken.

I miss the days when he moved markets on vintages. 04 Rhone, 93 Burgundy, I got some great buys.

Had a very good 04 Sorrel Le Greal about a month ago with the locals.

In spite of Parker, I stashed some 04 Allemand and Jamet (and Chave blanc), plus a few Vernay C-R and Voge VV.

Yeah, that Sorrel was probably my wine of the night. Very much falls on Jay’s “ripe fruit is not necessarily a flaw” spectrum [cheers.gif]

Jay, I think the obvious answer is to use the dark arts to push another critic forward to hype “superior” vintages and dismiss “inferior” ones. I suggest we start singing paeans to Jeff Leve’s reviews. [stirthepothal.gif]

(For the record, I like Jeff, but I do very much wish market pricing was correlated to his palate!)

All hail Jeff Leve! Master of vintage judging! Huzzah!

I’ve done my bit. Now to sit back and wait…

It was a great bottle - must have been a fruit day.

It is! You just need to be buying Bordeaux :grin:

Jeff ruined Les Carmes!

:wink:

I was the first on that wine by about a year! Glad you got in early :+1::blush:

Does this mean you trust me completely now ?:grin:

Haha, I’ve been buying that wine for 20+ years. And now I’ve been backfilling more! Just bought more 2000. May actually grab some 2018, though. So you dodged a bullet.

If you can lower pricing on older Pichon Lalande and Ducru I’ll be much obliged.