TN: Juge Vertical in NYC (June 3, 2018)

Yes!!!

Thanks so much for the notes. I’m a HUGE fan of Allemand, by far my favorite producer in the Northern Rhone. In fact just had my lone bottle of 89 Cornas two weeks ago, and it was one of the best Northern Rhone wines I can remember. That being said, I’m new to Juge, how would you compare the two? Outside of Allemand, my next favorite would be Jamet, with the 91 as my favorite.

Excellent notes Jayson…highly appreciated. Lots of terrific data points. My only lament, not to sound too much like an old fart, is the price increases in Cornas. Years ago, the wines were hugely undervalued but times certainly change.

Cheers!
Marshall

The world has changed. That’s what it does.

Noel Verset spent a lifetime eking out a living selling what only posthumously is in high demand and now widely recognized as the best Cornas, commanding premium prices.

I actually find a good degree of similarity but… Allemand’s wine are more polished but also more tannic, not quite as wild in terms of the acid structure, the expression of fruit I think is a little cleaner and precise (and sometimes darker), and they are more predictable because I understand Allemand bottles a vintage, not on demand as Juge used to. There are differences in the winemaking regime that I don’t have time to outline now although the end result I think is that Allemand’s winemaking may be slightly more reductive and at least the sulfured wines shut down and need more time in bottle to come around than Juge’s wines.

Both age well. Both hit a sweet spot for me.

Jamet is a different beast and profile.

THIS is how you write up a wine lunch! Excellent stuff.

I’ve had 06 Reynard a number of times, and (to me) it’s just representative of the warmer vintage. Clape is warmer, Chave is warmer, everything is warmer. Bigger, riper, rounder wines, but still delicious.

Anyone who wants to sell off their '06 Allemand’s please PM me. I really enjoy that particular wine.

Separately, does anyone who’s a Juge fanatic know when the vineyard sources changed? I have to think the 1995 is the old vineyard but was that also true of 08 or 09, etc?

I thought it was when he retired in late 90s?

Good to know, thanks Greg.

Thanks Jayson. Just as with all young Allemand that I’ve had, more time is all the 2006 needs. That Grenachey note almost had me pm’ing and sell everything to that guy who wanted to buy.

I’ll give you a better deal [wink.gif]

Thanks.

Thanks for the comp. May need to try some Juge, sounds like I’d enjoy. Right now when I head to the Northern Rhone section in my cellar, my hand always gravitates to the Allemand first.

I realized tonight that the bottle of 2015 Gilles Cornas I have left on the counter for three weeks has a full pour left. And hot damn, if it isn’t still drinking in a loamy, purple fruit, play-doh smell sort of way?! Tangy rich fruit on the finish. Almost no sign of oxidation.

I suspect this one will be long-lived. Tune back in in 12 years for Round 2.