TN: Produttori del Barbaresco vertical 2016-1970

Thanks, Otto. I just wanted to look like an idiot.
(Actually, I read your post, then went back at a later time to respond without re-reading, and forgot about the decanting times…)

[winner.gif] [winner.gif] [winner.gif]

+1

We still have the occasional weird bottle but it’s 1 in 1000(or less).

you certainly have had a chance to develop that feeling for older nebbs more thoroughly than I would. I asked mostly because I figured you had retested them several times throughout the night, and was not disappointed!

the 1982 is my current Eleanor of Produttori. I have always heard such good things, but of the ones I’ve had, they have all either been corked, poorly stored, or poorly shipped. its starting to get very frustrating! haha

Thanks for the great write up Otto.

These are some pretty terrific wines.

I have a hard time thinking of another red wine producer in the world who consistently makes a better combination of value and age worthy outstanding wine than PdB.

Chris, to agree with Otto, I would not choose to seek out a '75 Piedmont wine. Pretty tough vintage. It is testament to the PdB that the 77 at least was interesting to drink.

The 79’s Cru’s can be Ok but are getting tired. I think most of the PdB 74s are on the downslope with occasional surprising bottles (the normal in '74 can be quite good especially in large format still. The '67 normale is still going strong and most of the Cru bottlings are showing quite well. The '67 Rabaja can be stellar. 70, 71 can be good but I have had a lot of hit and miss. The '78s are the best of the decade at this point (and likely always were), and likely their best wines until '89. The Cru bottlings from '78 can still be pretty young if you get well stored bottles.

Thanks again for the great write up and insight.

Cheers

Oof, I can believe. Well, keep on digging! If you manage to hit a bottle that is in a pristine condition, it’ll really be something - everybody was suddenly going crazy in the tasting when the complexity seemed to really kick into next gear once they got to taste the wine after the 1996 and the post-millennium bottles.

Haven’t had many older Riservas, but still agree with your views on the vintages. Furthermore, they also had a streak of great vintages from '83 to '86 (well, not counting the lousy '84 there in the middle). And like I said earlier, the '64 and '61 are simply extraordinary.

thanks for the look otto.

has anyone taking an early peek at 2017 which is now on the shelves?

Piedmont: nogo
Toscany: many great options

This. Have had multiple great Tuscan reds. Definitely a much better vintage there.

Otto - I should ask if you’ve tasted the 1999 lately. I have a case of mags and am wondering how they are doing.

this is so interesting. literally everything I have read about 2016 in Piedmont has been extremely positive, including Otto’s review in the OP. Why no go for 2016 Piedmont? or are you referring to 1975?

Alas, I have not. Based on the general style of Produttori + magnum size, I think the bottles are in no hurry whatsoever. However, let us know how they’re doing if you decide on poppin’ one open.

I understood that “birth year present” means a wine from a birth year. If that is the case, I doubt 2016 fits the bill, no matter how great the wine is.

But it is definitely a vintage worth going deep on, if one is planning on filling their own cellars with good Nebbiolo.

Fascinating report Otto thanks for sharing the results. Of the disappointments, I’m more saddened and surprised by the young failures. My experience with older Italian bottles from auction/retail is similar. For reasons discussed in many threads here, pre-mid-90s Italian wines were just not stored well compared to Bordeaux, Burgundy, etc. Bummer for those of us poking around auctions for these bottles.

Sorry for the confusion
1975 is poor in Piedmont but (still!) so great in Tuscany. (Poggione, Montevertine, Castell’in Villa…)