TN: Second Zoom tasting – Chave Hermitage

Chave clearly uses some new oak. I think we may have different tolerances for new oak, which is fine - I don’t mean it makes Chave a bad wine, just that there was a stylistic change which has made it a different wine that I like less.

Let’s put it this way - if you like Guigal, I can see how you would like the new style of Chave. I do not like Guigal and find new oak in Syrah very distracting.

Jeff Leve says 10-20% new oak. According to Parker’s original Rhône book, Gerard Chave first experimented with new oak with one barrel of the 1985, so there is some change. 20% new oak might be noticeable early on but I doubt if it would show as oaky over time. It’s like Bertheau in Chambolle - does anyone complain about the new oak there?

We did a small tasting of 1995, 2000, 2001 and 2004 a few years ago and as far as I can remember nobody noticed oak in any of the wines. My notes and one other set I looked up for that tasting mention nothing about oak. In that case all four were good but the 1995 and 2004 showed the best. The comparisons we noted between those wines were mostly about maturity.

Whether the wines are more modern in some other way I’m not sure. Some might be softer and more lush but that was true of some vintages in the past.

I’ve held the same wine for almost two months at home and they taste just as good as the first one.

I’ve had no problem shipping to other as well. There have been doubters but once they try it the doubt goes away.

But I Siphon the wine with a tube so aggregation of the wine initially is limited. Please see the link shared below for all the answers to your questions

Siphon could be a good idea for an older wine with a fair amount of sediment. The one time it was my turn to do this (6 bottles), I just poured carefully, directly from the bottle into each vial, no funnel. If you are careful not to tip the bottle back as you move to the next wine, it’s essentially the same as decanting. I don’t think it gets appreciably more air than siphoning would, without the hassle. Either way, it’s proven to be an excellent method of sharing wines between people! Most of us think the wines continue to improve after pouring that we pour an hour or so early, before tasting, that’s how well they seem to hold in the vials. Now, we’ve only had one day between pouring and tasting, and I always store mine in the fridge overnight for a little insurance.

Again, different people have different tolerances for oak in different wines. I have a low tolerance for oak in syrah, and for me, I did notice the oak in the 2004 and the 2006 when I had them last. I’ve found Chave’s winemaking style since 99 has changed enough that it’s not quite “Chave” to me, but that is a personal opinion. Others disagree, and that’s totally fine.

Also, to be clear, my argument is not “new oak is bad!”, because a lot also depends on the winemaking. Mugneret Gibourg uses up to 75% new oak on some of their 1er crus, which I’m happy to buy (though I generally wouldn’t open them young). It’s a combination of factors - i.e., winemaking.