TN: Some New Whites & Reds...(long/boring)

Not Ken…but I play him on The Apprentice!! [snort.gif] Until I was fired!!
Ken works a lot w/ Brian on bttling and actually he & several others make their own wine there.
I’m pretty sure, you & Bryan being birds of a feather, would make some of the Angelica available to you. Like everthing he
does, usually in pretty small lots.
Tom

Hi Adam - yes, I’ve been working with Bryan Harrington for a number of years. Glad you’ve enjoyed the wines, and I look forward to trying yours!

It sounds like everyone had similar issues last year with the Somers Mission. We had not run into that before so hopefully Mike is able to take care of that in the vineyard this year. I believe the farming is heading toward organic so perhaps that contributed to last year’s issue, although it doesn’t seem like that’s a big change from the way the vines had been farmed previously.

We were also told - by both Mike and Marco - that the Somers Mission vines were supposedly planted in the '70s (though never clear which century!) and that the proximity to the river is why they’ve gotten so big. But I’ve always wondered why anyone would have planted Mission in the 1970s. Hard to believe there would have been a demand for it at that time, though perhaps it was expected the fruit would just go into some large blend like most Lodi fruit back then.

I’m pretty sure that Bryan still has some of the 2017 Angelica available, though I think the 2015 is sold out.

The vineyard manager saw a date somewhere and extrapolated from there. He told Bryan he thought they were planted in 1968 (or 1969?). I think he either saw '68 or saw 1868 and didn’t think that made sense. But, historically that does make sense. That’s the end of the era the settlers were planting it, as plantings of other grapes were well on their way and sites with Mission were beginning to be replanted. (As a data point, the oldest Deaver vines are 1853 Mission. Right next to that is 1867-ish Zin, where they’d already begun replacing most of their Mission.)

Wow, it would be amazing if they were 1868! It does make sense historically, just crazy if true - means they’re right up there with the oldest known vines in the country! I’ll have to investigate a bit more when I talk to Mike next.

We visited Deaver recently. Their Mission vines are the oldest continuously producing vines in California, planted in 1853.

Wes Hagen tends a vine planted in 1818, mentioned at the bottom here: https://www.noozhawk.com/article/laurie_jervis_wes_hagen_j._wilkes_wines_20160228
I’m sure you can find some articles focusing on that. He’s a board member here and active on facebook.

Ha! I do a lot more than bottling with Bryan…and actually on bottling days there I spend much of the time sanitizing hoses and cleaning out tanks after each small lot is bottled. I do help with bottling for a number of other urban Bay Area wineries. I actually made that first Harrington Angelica and mostly made the second one - it was my interest in making a Mission Angelica that led us to Somers Vineyard in 2015, thanks to a great tip from Marco Cappelli.

Was this the old Story property? They had some really old Mission circa 1996.

Nope, Markus. Different vnyds.
The old Story Mission block, planted in 1894 (what remains of a larger planting), is over on BellRd, next to the wnry, sloping down
towards the CosumnesRiver below. The DeaverVnyd is about 5 miles away over on ShenandoahSchoolRd, on the West side of
the road, across from the old Zin block. The other big block of Mission is in the ChetEschenVnyd (now RinaldiVnyd) over on OstromRd
coming into Fiddletown from the North. Don’t know if the Mission block on Eschen still exists or not.
Tom

Has anyone tried Rajat Parr’s Pais? He made it for his wine club a year or so back, but not sure where he got the grapes or if he’s still doing it.

I tasted it (the 2018 Pais) at the Brumaire event in March. The fruit was from Deaver Vineyard, and not sure whether he’s making it again this year. It was ok, with distinctive Pais/Mission aromatics, but I didn’t think it was one of the standouts at the event (or even at his table). Raj told me that the fruit was 100% destemmed.

I believe that Dani Rozman of La Onda is continuing to work with old-vine Pais and Cinsault from Chile. I tasted his 2015 Cinsault–Pais a few years ago - this was about a 70%/30% blend and was very good. The Pais component was unmistakable and really stood out.