TN: What wines do you bring to dinner /w a Billionare Wine Collector?

Dude, Charlie wants to impress him, not bed him. [gheyfight.gif]

rofl !!!

i think you made good, thoughtful choices Charlie. show off the home state wines man!

Covert Fingers is one of the two SQN bottles i have gotten to drink and like you i experienced the room-filling aspect of the nose. my memory is more strawberries than darker fruit but i also recall the chocolate and vanilla - and yes, the alcohol!

the first two times I’ve had it its been massive amounts of strawberry! And I gotta rep the home state :wink:

Charlie,

I would not even try to blow a billionaire away with my wine selections.

Don’t you think it gets old when every obsequious turd tries to compete and impress them.

Given his tastes, I would go mostly European and would bring a lot of variety. With an American guest, I would “apologize” for the wine in advance to Mr. Billionare, let him know you brought yoru best stuff, and let him taste a variety of slections to find one to his liking.

I’d bring something like this:

Decent Champagne
Mature Riesling from Alsace: ZH Brand
A good Loire white liek
Maybe a good Barolo but not great barolo, like the 97 Ceretto Brunate (will appear to his Burg palate)
Mature Beaucastel
One American wildcard: perhaps a more elegant PN with some age
Baumard’s Quarts de Charme for dessert or maybe Huet Vouvray

Old Bordeaux and Burgundy? Sounds like he has pretty classic tastes. How about another classic wine he may not have been exposed to such as Port or Madeira. Or as others have said, old California Cabernet, i.e. something from the 70’s; something he would probably enjoy more than SQN.

Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune
Vega Sicilia Unico
Donnhoff Riesling Eiswein
Muscadet–several possible producers
Clarendon Hills Astralis
Philipponat Clos des Goisses
a great Austrian Riesling (Hirtzberger and others already mentioned)

just trying to come up with some esoteric interesting wines–interesting topic and story.

alan

Don’t overlook the Honivogl [GV].

To. Die. For.

I would go for something that is great but still not widely known. Jamie Kutchs 2007 Californian Pinots come to my mind; a Pinot Noir from Gantenbein ( Switzerland ) or a great Merlot from Ticino would my European choice. And not to forget a some German ( Kesseler, Prüm, Breuer, Wittmann ) or Austrian ( Hirtzberger, Knoll, Jamek, Bründlmeyer )Riesling. All affordable and great wines.

Gantenbein certainly, combination of rarity and quality in a style easily understood.
Hirtzberger, JJ Prüm—
a mature Dom Perignon or la Grande Dame.

I think you did good Charlie. Given the need to maintain good “guanxi” in China, I’m sure your mama was proud of you! The real question is, “When are you going to China to have dinner with him?” Now that’s when I want to hear you write how you had some great Petrus, DRC, and a lovely bottle of Great Wall Reserve [shock.gif]

Or maybe the dude thinks you only drink non French stuff and he’ll serve you: Great Wall Reserve and Mollydooker while you drool over his first growth collection.

Charlie- cool topic. What did he think of the wines ?

As for the question, I think I’d bring some of my favorite wines - 90’s Heitz Trailside,Lewelling or Etude Cab, a Skewis Pinot and a an Aubert or Chasseur Chard.

Yes, that’s exactly what I was thinking. They’re excellent wines, similar in weight and structure to the wines he enjoys, but with different flavors, plus they’re likely to be wines he hasn’t experienced. Even the non-reserve bottlings from Mondavi in that era are great; there are plenty of other houses that were in top form in the 70s.

To go with it, a top-quality German riesling, which can be had for under $100, even with age on it.

Serving something that’s the same as his cellar is stuffed with, only worse, doesn’t do anyone any good, but if he’s a real wine guy he’ll love to be introduced to something new, and that’s where you can add value.

Zhi makes a good point. Hopefully he knows you like the classics as well. Wait, do you like the classics? I always see you mention SQN…

Also, what did he think of the wines?

Either way, it seems like you put some thought into it. That is the best you can always hope for.

see signature! flirtysmile

He liked the Arcadian and interested in the other two since they are styles he’s never had. I told him I only want to drink Petrus when I see him, no water… just petrus… maybe some nice grand cru burgs too :wink:

If you are going this summer, I would bring a really exceptional rosé. Really.

Francois Cotat Sancerre rosé or Baudry Chinon rosé for example are wines whose quality and palate appeal FAR exceed their actual cost. They are also rare and I’m certain unobtainable in Asia.

Or a grower Champagne rosé, there are really excellent ones that are actually much harder to get than many of the things
he has. Cedric Bouchard, David Leclapart, Bernard Gautherot, So hard to get you probably can’t get them. Still that’s what I would try and bring.