TNs: 2004 Ch. Pontet Canet, 2003 Joguet Clos de la Dioterie

Oh man that’s a dynamite bottle of wine. Send it to me if you’re out on that.

That associate was paid stoopid money. I should have gotten a case. [cheers.gif]

If it’s even anything like the 09 and 10 I had last month, it’s nigh undrinkable.

On a more serious note, I have serious questions about any 2nd growth from 2005 if it’s drinking well now. YMMV

Now that’s leverage. :wink:

I am more inclined to drink bordeaux younger than most, I would guess, as I have decent tolerance for tannins. I’ve had many bottles of the 2005 Cos d’Estournel. I do not personally find it too heavy or sappy. It’s just under 14% alcohol which I know is rather up there by Bordeaux standards but nothing like 9/10 where folks were hitting 15%. It’s a wine that Jean-Guillaume Prats argued might be the greatest Cos ever made. You’ve got Neal Martin, Stephen Tanzer, and Jane Ansen at Decanter all raving about the wine, its ageability, and its “near perfect balancing acidity” and all rave about the age-worthy structure. So yeah, it has fruit and massive aromatics, but it’s also got the acid and structure that 9/10 probably don’t have in balance.

Keep it, age it, enjoy it.

Or send it to me as a gift and I’ll handle those things for you.

I had the 2003 Joguet Clos de la Dioterie a couple years ago and thought it a lovely bottle, with no roasted or stewed notes. I generally avoid 2003 Loire (and most of Europe) but this was quite good. Sounds like a cooked bottle.

The only rule of wine is “drink what you like”, and I don’t like newer Cos. Which is why I expect I won’t enjoy the 05.

Then wait ten years and it won’t be new anymore.

By “new” I meant post circa 2000 Cos. As in, the new style.

It was a joke.

A senseless endeavor, Greg. All wine ratings systems are nonsense. :slight_smile:

Ah ha.

Robert, based upon the previous times that I have had the 2004 PC I suspect that it needed another 3 hours (or possibly more) to decant to get it to a sweet spot. I am not touching my 2004 PCs as they will be better starting around 2022.

I don’t agree on the first point, since I did follow it over two nights, but perhaps you are right on the second point. Only time will tell. Given the drying I experienced, I’m not convinced. I hope you are right.

Robert, certainly not trying to “censor” your opinion. Its certainly valued as I (and many others) need to figure out when to drink our 2004 PC’s.

Robert, I had actually just had this the other night. I had forgotten you posted on this recntly or I would have be more careful to post an actual note. From memory, I had better luck than you. My bottle was an OK mature wine - not stewed like yours - but neither was it what an 18 year old from this producer and vineyard should be. I think yours may have been heat damaged. You could say mine was heat damaged only in the sense that the vintage heat drove away all Loire Cab Franc varietal characterisics that I like and left a “Meh - ok to have a second glass if there is nothing else” experience. [cheers.gif]

Popped an 05 Joguet cdld on Friday. Excellent showing and gained steam after a 45 min decant. Was expecting a younger showing but hitting that rule of 15 spot right meow.

The heat and drought definitely hit the Loire. Tours, near Chinon, had 11 days where the high was over 95F/35C, and another three where the high was over 85F/30C. One day it hit 103.6F/39.8C, and another day it was 99F/37.3C. The mean high in August generally is about 78F.

Even in Nantes, near the mouth of the Loire, and near Muscadet, it got to 102F one day.

There’s weather data for that summer here.

Thanks for circling back on that one, Faryan. That wine was huge on release. Time to pull them out of storage!