TNs: 2018 William & Mary Shifflett and Napa Valley Wines

Opened a 2016 W&M Cab Sav tonight. A litmus test to decide whether I’ll be a buyer this week and… my goodness. My poor credit card.

Opened my first of the 2018s last night per my wife’s request for Mother’s Day…Out of this World good.

• 2018 William & Mary Cabernet Sauvignon Shifflett Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oak Knoll District (5/9/2021)
    Popped and let sit for a couple of hours before initial pour; dark eggplant color; layered nose begins with ripe blue and black fruits with a little touch of cedar, then kirsch and graphite; palate is big and full, with blackberry cobbler, fresh blueberries sprinkled with those Raw sugar crystals, and undertones of cedar, cassis and exotic spices; super-round, silky mouthfeel; fine, sweet tannins that still offer some grip on the back end but are already seemingly well-integrated; incredible finish that lasts

The nose on this is killer all by itself and can hold my attention for hours alone but the magic is the layered fruit. This is a much darker profile right off the bat than any of Will’s previous vintages. Each vintage dating back to the '14, I seemed to get more red fruit up front and it took quite some before any black/blue fruit pushed through. Not the case here and the fruit comes in waves. It’s much more opulent than earlier vintages as well. There is very good structure here as well which tells me the wine will hold and age well for years. Best Shifflett Cab thus far and difficult to find its flaws. 97/98+ in my book

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note–I noticed it on Cellar Tracker (I am Jazz Nut on that forum). I’ll have to open one up, sounds like it is drinking well in the early going!

Planning on one of these to open alongside a diCostanzo SVD and La Pelle SVD in the near future. Excited to see how they all compare

1 Like

Please post the results of this! I have all 3 as well and am very curious.

1 Like

Sounds like I need to open one of these soon. Thanks for the note

Glad I stocked up on the 18’s. Curious if the Napa bottling is indeed from Merrill’s fruit

My Magic Eight Ball says all signs point to yes

So sad I missed out on the 2018 Napa. I was able to get some of the SVD luckily!

regretting not ordering more of these…

the 2018 Shifflett CS is a beautiful wine

Anyone been able to taste the 19? Curious how they compare.

I don’t think it’s been bottled yet.

That would make sense.

Hopefully that’s done by June 4th. Not like I won’t back up the truck anyway.

Met up with a friend whom i had turned on to Shifflett. Was able to taste 18 after a proper decant and enjoyed even more than the first time i tried. I am going leave most of my bottles alone for some time but this is one hell of a wine

Which wine was it, the Prop Red or the Cab?

Brandon - the Cabernet. I enjoy both wines but for me the Cab is next level

1 Like