TNs from potentially over the hill wines discovered during quarantine inventory

Funny Chris, I have been doing something similar lately. Had a “possibly over the hill, or questionable storage” theme the other night. It was kinda cool and had a few surprises.

Inspired by this thread, I opened a Montelena Chardonnay 1982, with a Riesling back up. No back up needed. The Montelena was still pretty fresh, but as we turned the corner for the second half, it began to fade. We beat it before it became unpleasant.

That’s one that I definitely would’ve assumed would be dead, Mark. Nice that you derived some pleasure from it before it tanked.

– On a recent thread someone on here said Paloma was the producer that got him into wine

– I assumed boxers as well haha

– Alain Graillot Crozes Hermitage: I’ve enjoyed a glass of this wine recently, forgot which year. Interesting that it was considered good QPR back then. I often see this wine as a value recommendation in magazines like Food and Wine.

– I have some wines that I need to open. Will update here once I do that.

– Fun thread, thanks for posting Chris [cheers.gif]

Couple solos I found I have gotten into…

2013 Carlisle CMP - this was absolutely delicious, all kinds of pit fruits, a bit ofwariness, no real signs of age. Colombard, Muscadelle, and Palomino from vines planted in 1895-1920

2013 Carlisle Steiner Vineyard Grüner Veltliner - started out taught and a bit spicy with lemon and a bit of bruised apple. As it opened fruit profile turned a bit more to cantaloupe.

Wasn’t aging either on purpose necessarily, but a nice surprise.

Few more lined up for next couple weeks.

Wow! Fascinating! I haven’t had that wine (the current release, I mean) in 10 years or so, but I remember thinking it was delightful as well as being a stellar value.

If you can find it the Dry Riesling might be best value, it’s about $6 in WA.