TNs: I think I underestimated the quality of the '17 red Burg vintage

Yeah I feel like I underbought 17 reds after a strong 16 vintage; wish I’d gotten more 17 Marc Roy, Hudelot, Rossignol and Clerget and wish I’d bought less whites. At this point I’m not going to buy any whites that aren’t champagne. I way overbought 16 whites which I guess isn’t an awful thing but we’ll see how it goes.

The côte de nuits has plenty of guts (concentration) and a delicious (if sweeter) style to it - Gevrey has been very consistent in recent years. The côte de beaune reds (and Volnay is certainly excepted) are largely more, er, ethereal. Completely delicious from the start, they will drink great for their first 10 years, then let’s see, but they are often not wines of either concentration or colour.

I went back for more 17 sigaut and Clerget. Would like more 17 Marc Roy but that ship has probably sailed. I think I have maybe a case altogether.

Wish you’d bought less 17’ whites? Think you’ll be happy you went deep in the end.

I’ll also pile on the love for the 17’ reds. My first time going in to a vintage without much expectations, and have been very pleasantly surprised. Also one with no easy comps.

I have been drinking the base entry ‘17 Faiveley Mercurey @ $29 per…It’s been one hell of a quaff, def. checks the box w/ some of those classic burg notes I look for.

Faiveley is a very fine producer today. Will taste some 2017 from the house as I did with all vintages the last 10 years.

I bought relatively few 17 whites and am content with what I bought, couple cases of PYCM BB and maybe a case or two of other village lieu dits and 1er. I kinda wish I’d bought less 16.

I have felt that the Hudelot 17s are drinking so well… so hard to keep my hands off them

I agree on '17 Burgs, at least for the producers I buy. The village level wines have been outstanding. I accidentally opened a Dujac Malconsorts on Easter. That bottle was so young, but it was so full of amazing greatness and potential. I have been buying what I can still find. They are really not cheap, though!

Thanks for all the comments. Nice to know that I was not way off beam.

Charlie, thanks for the data point on teh Dujac, I haven’t touched any of mine yet but you are tempting me.

I bought a reasonable amount of 17 whites, but I’ve been somewhat disappointed so far, especially at the Paulee tasting. The Chablis were excellent though, and not all producers disappointed (I thought Pillot’s whites at Paulee were excellent).

Agree on 17 reds - quite a few wines I thought were surprisingly good, including a number of producers I don’t generally buy.

Michael, I like that. Need to make a note for myself!

I opened a 17 la justice tonight and would concur with this note, fantastic wine.

So pleased you liked it Michael. It is to my mind a truly exceptional Village wine.

Why?