TOCK and other prepay reservations!!!!

That is very interesting to know that the restaurants don’t get the money. I would have absolutely zero problem guaranteeing money and paying if I ever had to cancel at any point after make a reservation. This begs the question if a restaurant is guaranteed payment and don’t get the money if it is paid upfront what incentive do they have in collecting months in advance?

The problem is when you have a large group and I don’t know everyone. And the list of attendees is always fluid. And to be honest sometimes these are public figures where it is awkward to say hey can we settle up on the bill. You would be surprised a lot of celebrities just assume someone is taking care of the bill…since I usually have the restaurant contact I get stuck.

I’d say please recognize that the circumstances you present are unusual and not the norm here. If you are dining with people who have “alligator arms” as we like to say, then I don’t understand why this is any different than paying at the restaurant. I compare this to collecting funds for a fantasy football league. Anyone who doesn’t want to pay shouldn’t be included.

Nick - Your original post was really interesting. If a restaurant is protected from no shows through guaranteed payment and they don’t get the money upfront what incentive does the restaurant have in collecting months in advance. Seems like TOCK is the big winner here. I guess the card could be cancelled or charge disputed?

I say this only slightly facetiously, but it sounds like Robert needs a DAO on the blockchain to solve this problem.

Request venmo’s from all your dining partners at time of reservation?

Hi Robert, this is how Le Fantastique down here in San Francisco does it. They charge my card a prepay via Tock when I make the reservation ($50 per person) - and it is a charge that sticks, not a hold - but when I sit down at the restaurant they trigger a refund. Then at the end of the meal I get presented a check, as normal, for the full amount. The refund typically shows up later, but reliably so. So at least here is a data point that this can be done by restaurants on Tock. It may not be common knowledge, but it is possible

e: you should try Le Fantastique if you get a chance [cheers.gif]

I dream of a day when I can be stiffed by celebrities.

[wink.gif]

Wondering if there is an issue here if you and I split the bill. 2 tickets each for a 4 top. I show up you don’t. Do I get to eat? Does the restaurant cancel the entire reservation and rebook? I am sure something could be worked out when tickets are purchased but could complicate things.

George

That makes a lot of sense.

Have been in similar circumstances a few times. Never had an issue with the restaurant seating me and others with a non full party. Just let them know when you get there how many people it will actually be so they can adjust. Many restaurants want to coordinate service for the full table, so they wait until everyone in the party is there. As long as you let them know, it shouldn’t be an issue. You’re usually still out the cost of those missed guests though, which I’m ok with