TOMATO SALAD

This salad looks great. My wife doesn’t like raw onion, so it won’t ever make it into the rotation at our house. Is there any reason specifically to use cherry tomatoes or would beefsteaks that have been coarsely chopped work well too in your opinion? When we make the Italian version of this (add basil and garlic, subtract onion, maybe add super finely chopped shallot) we always prefer large tomatoes since they are juicier and help everything meld together. We normally put that salad over pasta or on a bed of greens with fresh mozzarella.

My wife, too.

I use any kind of tomatoes, normal ones, Beefsteaks or cherry tomatoes. My main criteria is whether they taste like a tomato or not. Most of the tomatoes on the german market taste like nothing. Right now I choose cherry tomatoes, as they are lovely sweet&ripe from Italy or Spain. Starting with July I choose german normal tomatoes, as they have seen some sun and they are ripe with a good acidity. Fair to say it is not easy to find good tomatoes.

We have the same problem in PA. I generally limit my tomato consumption to July - Sept when I can get them from the farmers market or my own garden.

This is my experience in the UK and US as well. That out of season 99% of the tomatoes, especially larger ones, are awful. But I’ve had fantastic luck with smaller ones like cherries and what not in the off-season in both places.

Thanks for the recipe, Martin. Tried it the other day with “real” tomatoes, Nola’s EVOO and Nola’s Balsamic. As you say, simple but the flavors blended beautifully. Just right on a hot summer afternoon.

Of course it goes without saying that there was NO BASIL. neener [snort.gif] [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Looks good. I’ve got some tomato plants growing, so just waiting for this. And my basil plant and wild buffalo.

Why not?

Jay: don’t [stirthepothal.gif] . Troublemakers not allowed here [berserker.gif] [cheers.gif]

My grandmother would make something very similar to this, often with some cucumber, and it’s fascinating to me that we knew intuitively that the time in the fridge was required for the flavors to come together and for the texture, but nobody ever spelled that out. Very cool. BTW no such thing as basil in rural North Carolina 50+ years ago :slight_smile: so that is my preference for this.

1 Like

You are correct about the sweetness, the time in vinegar allows the acid to deactivate sulfur compounds in the red onion. This is the same reaction many cultures use to tame garlic.

1 Like

I’ve done this forever—including last night—but without chilling or onions. Will try with.

YES, always trust the wisdom of our grandmothers.

IMG_1326.jpg
Very nice Martin, thanks for the prep guide

1 Like

How the Science of Salt Can Improve Your Tomatoes

Yes! For many dishes with tomato ( eg pasta sauces, ratatouille etc) when I deseed them, the seeds pulp etc go into a strainer over a bowl with some salt for half an hour or so, and they get an occasional stir. Adding that juice into the dish amps up the umami a bit. I first saw this in a recipe from the Magician of Bray, though I forget which recipe now. ( I recall he said to chop the seeds but my knives aren’t quite up to that , they are slippery!).