Top 10 List of Old Vine Zin Vineyards

Tom, I know Gamba isn’t something a lot of folks on this board like. But, they have some old vineyards. Are they too small to make these lists? I never seem to see their vineyards on lists. The small vineyard at their winery is the first old vines I ever laid my eyes on and it was a game changer. Plus, Gus was just the nicest he could be when we tasted his wines.

I just tried the 2017 Gamba Old Vines a few days ago.

As an aside when I visited Papera Ranch a few years ago I talked to a guy who apparently lives in the house adjacent to the vineyard. He said he sold fruit from his few rows of Papera Vineyard to Gamba although I have never been able to verify that.

Tom

[thankyou.gif]

Tom

Thank you for sharing Tom. I have a few bottles of this wine. May have to open one soon. If you have a chance to visit Gus he’s a great host.

+1. I gotta get me some of those two.

Kirschemann could be on there too

How do Geyserville and Lytton Springs not make the top ten. Many of the greatest Zins in California history come from those two vineyards.

Von Weidlich is now called Lemorel, the estate vineyard of Eric Sussman’s Radio Coteau winery. It is a Sonoma Coast appellation old vine zin planted in the 40s, that produces absolutely stunning wines. I tasted the '15 last night.

This cool climate Zin is very low production, however, and not available in every vintage.

Bedrock has an Old Hill bottling. I just got some.

I don’t know about it’s age, but I remember the Black Sears vineyard made some great zin in the 90’s. I had Turley. I don’t know if it still exists, but I rember the Turleys being exceptional.

Tom, Not a huge Zinfanatic, but that is an excellent list of the top vineyards. I’m also 10/10.

Well to be fair I did include Pagani Ranch. For me, at least in the 2017 vintage, the Ridge Pagani was better than the Ridge Lytton Springs by a comfortable margin. Notes here:

Tom

10/10. Turns out I like Zin [thumbs-up.gif]

Thanks Mike! I will keep my eyes open for this wine.

I need to do some work! Only 4/10, but oh that 2014 Turley Ueberoth!! One of my wines of the year for 2019

9/10 for me, no Ubie

8/10 I think. Ueberroth is one I’ve definitely not had. I can’t remember having an Old Hill Ranch wine but it sure seems like I would have at some point.

Old Hill is in the top tier for me, Montafi as well, and my favorite from Carlisle. One not often mentioned is San Lorenzo from what used to be Seghesio.

Turns out I like Zin as well. 10/10 plus all of the vineyards they mentioned leaving off.

I don’t drink much Zin anymore but I used to and I’ve had most of these - all but the Limerick Lane and the Forchini - and agree with the selections. I’d add Lytton Springs and Pagani. And Geyserville if it isn’t disqualified for being a mix of varieties.