Top 5 pinot noir wines from California

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I have several to try. I see Rhys and Rivers Marie come up a lot. How are those wines in style? Are the similar to Calera in style? I prefer the bigger style pinots like KB and Kistlers.

My thoughts exactlyā€¦
Followed by Mount Eden and Ceritas

No love for Flowers??

The best pinot producers I have personally tried have been

Rochioli
Williams-Selyem
Hirsch
KostaBrowne
Littorai

In order
Dehlinger
Rhys
Peay
Anthill
Swan

By my purchase history:

Zepaltas
Williams Selyem
Surh Luchtel
Siduri
Rivers-Marie

Papapietro Perry, Failla, Peay, Anthill Farms, Chasseur, Knez, Briceland and Woodenhead are others to consider.

I just bought a few Joseph Swan to try based on good recommendations.

This thread wonā€™t die! I chuckle as reading through this, itā€™s mostly the same 10-20 wineries, re-jumbled depending on the poster! pileon

Mount Eden
Joseph Swan

Rather than restate the names that have already been noted Iā€™ll add that while I donā€™t drink a lot of PN from my home state, Iā€™m REALLY enjoying a Mt Eden ('10 ā€œDomaine Edenā€ Pinot Noir) this evening. This is the first bottle from the producer Iā€™ve had so Iā€™m not too familiar with their bottlings but this is lovely. The nose has that pretty floral character that I find with whole cluster fermentation and the mouthfeel is perfectly balanced with a core of fruit supported by the background acidity and tannin, nothing is out of place or overwhelming.

At $37 itā€™s a bargain and Iā€™ll admit Iā€™d have trouble picking this out from a blind tasting of burgs, maybe 2006ā€™s.

Rivers Marie and Rhys are both producers that have the weight to make the KB crowd happy and the acid balance to make the burg crowd happy. They are good crossover producers.

No love for Merry Edwards? In my mind less Cali and more old world.

Respectfully, I very much disagree with this statement.

I have had a lot more Rhys than Rivers Marie but definitely would not put them in the same bucket. The latter is much closer to the KB mold.
As for Calera, there are a lot of similarities in the way Rhys and Calera are made but the result is very different. (Different terroir!) No doubt Calera fans would dig Rhys, though.

I would agree that R-M is more archetypically Californian than Rhys but the wines Ive had were just enormously different than the KB style. Way less ripeness and extraction.

In particular order:
Rhys
Liocco
Clos Saron
Clos Pepe
Birichino

Never heard of Birichino. What is the style like?

Similar to the other 4 producers, though consider their source is Santa Cruz. Not a lot of vintages, but definitely one my favorite new producers in CA. They make a killer Malvasia & Vin Gris. Also a nice Grenache. Ex Bonny doon guys.

Sorry, I tried a few ME and think they are heavy fruit bombs with too much alc and too much oak and little acid.

Berry, your crossover point makes sense, although theyā€™re more likely to satisfy Cali PN lovers.

KB typically plays near the edge with huge ripeness and quite a bit of acidity. Donā€™t ever remember one being overtly fat. Rivers-Marie, on the average, comes across as riper than Rhys, a bit less acidity and clearly new world. R-M is definitely less ripe than KB. Out of the several Rhys and Alesia PNs that Iā€™ve tasted blind, I donā€™t think I ever been tempted to guess old world.

RT

To a great extent itā€™s a function of what wines Iā€™m familiar with. I loved the one Anthill Iā€™ve had but can I pronounce it best based on a one bottle sample?

So Iā€™ll only list four:

Mt. Eden
Rhys (esp. Home and Horseshoe)
Copain (esp. Kiser en Haut)
Arcadian (esp. Garyā€™s and Francesca)

I could have (and have) confused Rhys for Old World on several occasions, but it really depends on when you get to them and how you treat them. On release with a pop-and-pour they are clearly Californian but after some time in the cellar and especially with a long decant, many can pass for Burgundy. In fact I try never to open one unless I can give it two hours in a decanter first, which is not something Iā€™m usually picky about, but it makes a huge difference with the Rhys wines. (Calera too, actually.)