Top Red Burgundy vintage of the 21st century so far

2016 and 2010 have seamless balance, in general, in youth compared to many other vintages while seemingly having the guts and energy to endure. I will admit that 2017 has a charming, or shall I say, delicious, character that reminds me of 2002, in regards to accessibility and less so regarding other vintage character. 2017 is clearly a vintage where progress with farming has made a significant and meaningful impact, which results with different decisions regarding vinification and elevage than would have been made 15 years prior. I have been fortunate to have been shown and am a believer of riper vintages having the ability to endure given higher, phenolic material and higher acidity than initially suspected, i.e. ‘29, ‘59, etc. 2010 and 2016 simply seem to have more of all the good stuff in a more harmonious way even in youth.

I am starting to have trouble with this thread. This is Burgundy guys and there is way too much agreement. I thought we were supposed to disagree about everything. grouphug

Actually, I am really enjoying this discussion. grouphug A question though is how much of the admiration for vintages like 2002, 2010 and 2017 is a reaction to 2005? I wonder if 2017 would be as widely praised if it came out around the time of 2005 rather than now as people still wait and wait and wait for 2005s to come around and just want wines that taste good during our lifetimes. Interestingly, there seem to be a lot of the same types of comments on the analogous Bordeaux threads about those 2005s to our 2005s.

Now, I will admit surprise that there has not been too many positive comments about 2001s. I really like this vintage and think of it as comparable in quality (and maybe even a bit better) than 2002 although very different in style (and realizing that in Volnay 2002 is the superior vintage).

12 is the most underrated vintage listed

1 Like

Just looked in CellarTracker, and was shocked at how much 2017 I have. Encouraged by the positive comments on the vintage.

You made me look - ditto, I didn’t realize how much I have. [cheers.gif]

2001 is a great vintage. Now I am thinking about all the standout bottles I have had from 2001 (Clos de la Roche Lignier stands out always), but for me 2002 edges it out. I need more 2017 in my cellar for sure. I spend more money on wine while reading Winebeserkers threads than anywhere else. I did not realize how dangerous this could become!

Certainly looking at the votes above, it’s impossible to disagree with this.

Whoever said that never read a wine board, where the “serious” Burgundy folks’ attitude about all the obviously great vintages brings to mind the quip, “Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too popular.”

2 Likes

I have more 17 than any other vintage and am pretty happy about it.

As someone who knows very little about Burgundy, what would be a good 1999 for ≈$500? (Or does that not exist anymore) That’s my sister’s birth year and if it’s a fantastic vintage, it could be just what I’m looking for

From the list of vintages, 2000 has provided me with the most drinking pleasure. I voted for 2015, as I reckon with the fullness of time it will prove to be a brilliant vintage from top to bottom.

2 Likes

This would be pretty good and save you $100 or so.

https://www.kogodwine.com/products/1999-jadot-chambertin-clos-de-beze

one of my big regrets was not buying a lot of 2000 or 2001, back then I only wanted to buy the baller wines from baller vintages, oh well you live and learn.
I voted for 2010 because it reminds me of 78 in a lot of ways and 78s have given me some life altering drinking experiences, I have a boatload of 15s so I hope you are proven correct

A good call. But is it ready? Maybe Anthony can buy it for his sister’s 25th or 30th birthday.

In short, no! My most recent note, from 2018:

The 1999 Chambertin Clos de Bèze Grand Cru (Domaine Louis Jadot) is still surprisingly firm and structural, unfurling in the glass with aromas of red and black fruits, orange rind, grilled meat and rich soil tones. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, deep and concentrated, with excellent intensity and persistence, but it’s still somewhat tight-knit, its chewy chassis of chalky structuring tannin making its inherent amplitude and volume harder to see. Unsurprisingly, the Clos de Bèze is the most reticent of Jadot’s very successful 1999 portfolio, and readers with bottles in their cellar will find the wine more rewarding in another decade. While this will never be a lavish, opulent wine, it will be very long lived.

You done good, sir!

1999 lambrays
1999 hudelot Clos vougeot
1999 bc Lignier morey 1er vv
1999 Barthod fuees
1999 angervillle Clos de ducs
1999 Lafarge Chenes

Lots of choices for <500

It’s a great vintage but it’s a bit of a crap shoot what’s going to be good to drink now and what’s still in an awkward phase. And even the ones that are good to drink are still kinda reluctant and need to be coaxed along with a long decant, and they’ll close up again if you look at them funny.

I know it is a very small sample size, but I am a tad surprised that 2015 is higher than 2016 in terms of votes.

1 Like

Perhaps we should all have asked when you want to drink it?