This. It’s my birthyear, as well, and the “recently disgorged” release a couple of years back was great. Everything else has been a bust for me.

An interesting choice would be the Mouton, elevated to First Growth, which they commemorated with the 1973. To be honest, it is an ok wine, but in terms of concept, it is perfect, and then have a few bottles of the good stuff as back up.

I would go for port or madeira, of which there are plenty of excellent choices, but I’m biased…

Had a '73 Chablis years ago in Belgium,with a Bordeaux wine producer and his wife - stunning.See if you can find some-probabaly not too expensive

I share your birth year as well, and have tried 10 or so bottles from '73. We just drank a Cheval Blanc about two weeks ago that was terrific, a nice balance of fruit and integrated tannins, with a lovely, floral finish.

That said, the best we’ve had have come from California. Heitz Martha’s Cab Sauv was the best, followed closely by Ridge Monte Bello and Mondavi Reserve. BV GdLatour have been hit or miss.

Good luck, but leave some for the rest of the '73 babies!

One CA Cab that hasn’t been mentioned yet is '73 Freemark Abbey Bosché Vineyard. It’s been a while since we drank our last one, but I’d expect it to still be fine. If you can find one, it should be quite a bit less than a Heitz Martha’s, Mayacamas, or Ridge Monte Bello, too.

Haven’t seen Clos Ste. Hune mentioned yet. It’s been 10+ years since I’ve had it, and I’m sure would be very difficult to track down, but it was spectacular then.

In the last 5 years, we have had the following 1973s:

Mondavi Reserve (1 was decent+. 1 was stellar, hitting it’s prime at 2 hour decant. )
Chappellet (Awesome. Still young. It was rocking. Prime at 2 hour decant.)
Grange (WOW!!! Enough said!)

About 10 years ago, I had a Martha’s (at Tom and Martha’s house. RIP Tom. You are a hoot!!) I was amazed at it’s youthfulness. It was not decanted. If I had another, I would.

I have the Faustino Gran Reserva left for my 73s.

I would easily recommend all of the above wines. Also look at Mount Veeder wines - Mount Veeder winery, Mayacamas.

Thanks for the tips!! [cheers.gif]

I echo the Rioja and Napa cab recommendations, but was completely surprised by a '73 Beychevelle. Expected vinegar, got a terrific wine. Long, and very satisfying. Didn’t fade over the evening.

Bad vintage for Bordeaux, but some came through.

Opened a bottle of 1973 Dom Perignon for dinner this evening and it is every bit as fabulous as others have claimed. Highly recommended, and should be a reasonable difficulty to source

73 Dom is great.

Despite Parker’s rating I’ve had very good success with cheval blanc…but back then it was under $100.

73 riojas can be very good and usually come cheap. Also had very good CA petite Syrah and Syrah.

Good that you are looking now

Edited @ Wino requests!

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks! That is one of the bottles I am looking at.

1973 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume was marvellous several years ago.
I then managed to source another bottle a year or so ago for a colleague who is a '73 boy. He said it was stunning.
Museum release from Baumard.

Not Napa or Bordeaux, but 1973 Krug is really good and as William alluded to, white Burgundy if you can find it can be stunning.

Regarding Bordeaux, Lynch-Bages '73 was more than just a curio a few years ago.

Pounding it in.

Rioja.

I had this 4 years ago.
2 hour decant.
The wine was AWESOME!!!