or just trade a bottle of an off-vintage drc.

[cheers.gif]

La Mission is terrific…again all about the provenance

Its not a birthyear wine for me so this upcoming father’s day is my target date.
I spent more than I would ever consider for just about any other bottle of wine but I am hoping the experience will be priceless.
IMG_0387.jpg

++2!!

We popped one last fall and it was pretty amazing.

'61 Bordeaux is worthy!

Wally’s has the '61 Lynch bages for 900.

The Chateau Leoville Las Cases - St.-Julien 1961 is 500-600 here and there.

Interesting: 1961 Chateau Rauzan-Segla, Margaux is 265 at Wine Consigners. That same place has 1961 Chateau Beychevelle, St. Julien for 330 bucks.

Also, stroll through Wine Searcher for 1961 and see what catches your fancy!

Well stored bottles of Haut Brion are stunning.

As others have said, lots of 1961 Bordeaux are still in their prime, or even still a little young - provided they’ve been properly stored!

I would point to Gaffelière-Naudes as one of the right bank wines-of-the-vintage that remains surprisingly under the radar. Even if the vineyards are totally different, the style is quite similar to old Pétrus.

In the scheme of top 1961 pricing / reputation, Mouton-Rothschild is also probably comparatively underrated. The best bottles of '61 Mouton I’ve had have been better than some of the '61 Latour bottles I’ve had.

In the Médoc, hard to beat a perfect bottle of the 1961 Ducru Beaucaillou if you can find one.

My only bottle of Pichon Lalande was corked, but the underlying wine was clearly brilliant.

But 1961 was also quite an interesting year elsewhere in France.

Lots of good recommendations above.

I believe Huet Vouvrays should still be in decent shape even if it’s a somewhat austere year from the few I’ve had.

I thought Rioja was an interesting mention above. I can’t recall any 1961s although 1962 was an excellent year.

I recently had a 1961 Pichon Lalande that was simply amazing. The fill was not good, which added to the surprise on the upside [dance-clap.gif]

I had a '61 Nervi Gattinara last year that was very good, not great. I’ve had '61 Lanessan twice in the past 5 years (one bottle left). This is approaching great wine, and if you can find it, it will be (pardon my French) cheap!

Lopez-Heredia is a good suggestion, as is Burgundy (as long as you stay away from the trophies). I would look (to keep prices sane) for Pommard or Nuits St Georges.
About 7 years ago I had a few half-bottles of minor 1961 red Cotes de Beaune wines at Bern’s. Everything was excellent. Nothing was fading.

Dan Kravitz

1961 Latour is one of the greatest wines I’ve ever tasted. Among some pretty heady company at a French Laundry dinner, it was my favorite of the night.
https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=1108&searchId=A74DF4BF%23selected%253DW17907_1_K52f07ab9927560e7981fd6577861e583

Probably more faked bottles worldwide than houses in a capital …

61 la tache was nice last year

Right. The real ones, made by Clape. The fake ones by …

Latour, La Mission HB, HB, Mouton took time to emerge

I have an empty Rudy bottle of '61 La Chapelle. Someone from Winebid came to a monthly dinner years ago and served it blind. It was clearly not '61 La Chapelle, most likely a younger off vintage. I had the restaurant dig it out of the trash at the end of the night and it is the only empty bottle I own.

I hope you’ve calendared a November date for Rudy to top it off.

It need not to be la Tache - but 1961 was not bad in Burgundy either. Not as fine as in Bordeaux, nor as good as 1964 and 1962 Burgundy, but I would buy any good looking Burgundy bottle, even a Village, when the bottle condition looks excellent (and the price is ok).

PS: a 1961 Pommard Epenots or Nuits LSG is less likely a fake than La Tache 1961 !

Won a half case of the 61 Lynch Bages at auction last year for below low estimate, they have top shoulder fills and look solid. Maureen Downey’s Chai authenticated them, so I was surprised that I won them for what I bid. Fingers crossed they show well!