Total Wine Rewards Changes

From Total Wine lol. Wine & Spirit Discounts | Total Wine & More - Coupons & Offers

Will have to check Swigg out (hadn’t heard of it) - appreciate the advice. I’ve been to Frank’s but found the prices high - makes a bit more sense now that I know they will run sales.

They are market-dependent, according to laws of various controlling jurisdictions. I get mine primarily through email, occasionally through regular mail. In fact, a 20% Winery Direct coupon hit my inbox a couple days ago; feels like it’s been at least 3 months since the last 20% one.

This. This exactly.

At least in Orlando, their Bordeaux stock is deep, but pricing is notably higher than my other sources (like b21 that personally delivers to me every other Tuesday in a chilled vehicle, right up to my mail room!). Give me the 20% off, then we are in play - that gets them around b21 pricing, and they have stuff that b21 may not have.

Well said, Neal. My sentiments as well.

TW only works for me on Bordeaux. Their other offerings are quite weak and rather bland for my palate. They, like other major retailers, including the ABC Fine Wine throughout Florida, play to the middle rather than the fringes. I don’t think they even carry a Chinon. Smart business model. Given my palate eccentricities, however, I find myself migrating probably 80% of the time to the small stores that put great thought into their selections, like Chambers, Weygandt and Crush. Tim’s Wine Market in Orlando caters to this more boutique crowd as well. I try to avoid the big chains, and even Amazon, in all aspects of my purchasing, still routing for the little guy (the bleeding heart liberal that I am, LOL, while serving big corporate America in my business).

I was a bit I curious so I looked up Tims Wine Market . They have 6 locations and franchising opportunities available. Are they still the “little guy”?

Yea they are still little. If you go to his main store on Lake Ivanhoe, Tim is there every day and as enthusiastic now about wine as he was 20+ years ago when he opened.

we actually have a new local store that is really giving our Total a run for its money. And the Greenville Total is the 5th highest volume store in the country as of last year. the owner of a local liquor store opened a large-stock shop that has a bar with craft beers and several BTG options inside about 2.5 miles away though and I think he is taking huge chunks of TW’s customers. its the first time ive ever heard of a local shop hurting TW instead of vis versa. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out, because they essentially cater to the same customer base and have similar wine styles.

Cool beans !!

Hey Jeff, Lee

There is a local shop in Wilmington you should try.
Wilmington Wine.
Tell Hagen the owner, that Karl sent you.

510 Greenhill Avenue
Wilmington, DE

Small shop but he will cut you a break from his posted prices.
He has a nice selection of Cali cabs and a few Bordeaux’s as well as Italian wine.
I like to pick up my Paring there as well as Chappellet Mountain Cuvee.
He also has a Kith and Kin cab that I like.

As for TW…

I am on the same page as many here. They keep raising their prices and I only buy if I can use a 15% off coupon.
Once in a while they have sales on good wine like Baldacci’s Four Sons Fraternity. The 2012
They would have sales and a recent one is $5 off and then 15% more so 34$.
Over the last couple years you could get it around 30.
I have a bunch of that.
But they keep raising their prices and it’s pissing us all off.
I guess it’s happening everywhere but here are a couple examples of their gouging on the winery direct prices.

I found the Carpineto Vino Nobile di Multipulciano Riserva 2012
WS gave it a 93
Found it in a northern Jersey shop on sale for 19.99
Great price even with the 7% tax.
Most other shops have it for 25 to 27
TW charges 35.49
Ridiculous!

The Chappellet that I like.
I can get for well under 30
TW price Now…39.99
Was 29.99 less than 2 years ago.

Nuff said.

Cheers!

buy new release Bordeaux at TW because no local even is close on pricing (often 30% higher). But there seems to be a lot of opportunity for locals - my TW has no almost German wines, a weak Burgundy selection, Northern Rhone is strictly limited to Delas/Chapoutier/Guigal, Piedmont is hit or miss and everything is recent vintage. It makes sense for TW’s business model, but at the same time, I can’t understand why none of the locals (other than Panzer, who doesn’t run a brick and mortar) try to offer a different experience. As much as I’d like to support them, they aren’t making a compelling case.[/quote]

Lee, I like Panzer’s portfolio but for a brick and mortar shop, have you been to Swigg? Nice guy and a nice shop. Frank’s wine has a good selection, too, but you have to wait until he runs a 15-20% sale for them to be cost competitive.[/quote]

Will have to check Swigg out (hadn’t heard of it) - appreciate the advice. I’ve been to Frank’s but found the prices high - makes a bit more sense now that I know they will run sales.[/quote]

Hey Jeff, Lee

There is a local shop in Wilmington you should try.
Wilmington Wine.
Tell Hagen the owner, that Karl sent you.

510 Greenhill Avenue
Wilmington, DE

Small shop but he will cut you a break from his posted prices.
He has a nice selection of Cali cabs and a few Bordeaux’s as well as Italian wine.
I like to pick up my Paring there as well as Chappellet Mountain Cuvee.
He also has a Kith and Kin cab that I like.

As for TW…

I am on the same page as many here. They keep raising their prices and I only buy if I can use a 15% off coupon.
Once in a while they have sales on good wine like Baldacci’s Four Sons Fraternity. The 2012
They would have sales and a recent one is $5 off and then 15% more so 34$.
Over the last couple years you could get it around 30.
I have a bunch of that.
But they keep raising their prices and it’s pissing us all off.
I guess it’s happening everywhere but here are a couple examples of their gouging on the winery direct prices.

I found the Carpineto Vino Nobile di Multipulciano Riserva 2012
WS gave it a 93
Found it in a northern Jersey shop on sale for 19.99
Great price even with the 7% tax.
Most other shops have it for 25 to 27
TW charges 35.49
Ridiculous!

The Chappellet that I like.
I can get for well under 30
TW price Now…39.99
Was 29.99 less than 2 years ago.

Nuff said.

Cheers![/quote]

Yeah I also noticed the $39.99 price on the Chappellet Cuvee this past Friday! Actually it was more like $27.99 in my area two years ago. SCREW THEM! You have to be a savvy/smart buyer no matter where you purchase.

I enjoyed a new perk at my local TW today -Private Tasting. While I was in to pick up some Bordeaux (what else), Roy asked me if I would like a private tasting. I didn’t know that was something they did. He grabbed a glass and I followed him into the cooler where a dozen bottles or so were sitting on a barrel head. All of them had lowered levels, yet the cork and capsule were still intact. A Coravin was sitting in the center on a support. I selected the 2014 Moone Tsai first, followed by 2014 Amici Cabernet, and then 2015? Sheridan L’Orage. Roy gave me a modest pour of each using the Coravin. I’m not familiar with any of those wines but, based on my preference for classical Bordeaux, I found the Yakima wine to be the most appealing. However I wouldn’t refuse any of them if offered a glass again. They were all excellent, served at 55F, and warmed in the glass by my hand.
Roy said anytime I wanted to do another tasting, just ask. [cheers.gif]

Very nice!

Nice Chris, gotta love that!

I assume you go there pretty often since you knew the guys name, but did they mention who they offer the private tastings to? I’m a Grand Reserve member , but wasnt sure if it was more of a perk for people they know by first name kinda thing

I do spend a lot of my wine dollars there (pretty much just in the Bordeaux aisle) and I frequently chat it up with three of the staff there who seem to share an interest in drinking Bordeaux.

I assume it’s a perk for customers they’re familiar with. It made me feel special. flirtysmile

The other manager who I like talking with was engaged in a training session and he came over while I was waiting for some wine to be pulled down from overhead. His trainees got to observe, so I assume he was showing them its ok to be chatty with good customers.

I generally try to get in and out in half an hour or less but if they’re gonna pour wine I can stay a little longer. [cheers.gif]

Gotcha - totally makes sense Chris.

Note to self…BS with the staff more next time I go to TW :wink:

Have you guys noticed they don’t send out coupons anymore. Now they’re trying to push this whole, “earn 4x more points to get $5 rewards for every 5k points accrued”

5,000 points = $5 gift certificate

So apparently Different states have different laws governing this program. I happened to look at the rules for washington state- No actual rewards program here- State law prohibits actual rewards for alcohol- so it is simply a “loyalty” program to apparently get “access” to better stuff.

Just FYI for those in Delaware, New Jersey, North Carolina, Washington and Maryland, you will find the same deal. CT, Georgia and Texas are similar but different in some way.

You can get actual rewards in AZ, CA, CO, FL, MN, NM, NV, SC and VA

Interesting Scott - appreciate the details on how that works.

Along those same lines, Albert, I have not received a coupon in a long time either. Huge bummer if those are completely gone, as those allowed for some great deals. TW originally told me they were NOT going to stop the coupons after this new program started…but looks like that dude was wrong or they changed their minds. :frowning:

Interesting. I’m in MD and I’m receiving the $5 vouchers and the 20% coupons. I also received a points multiplier promotion and a free 1000 points coupon for any in store purchase recently. All up I was able to spend about $500 and enter the top tier of rewards. I feel like it will very quickly devalue the program. Not looking forward to the fight for Pappy this year.