Touriga producers in California?

oh, I totally see what you did there!

well played

We used to bring in Touriga from a vineyard in Los Olivos owned by Eli Parker when I worked at Fess Parker. Part of it would go into a ‘traditional port’ along with Sousao and Tinta Cao and part would be fermented separately and go into a generic red blend. I always dug it and wondered why we did not do it on its own and release it early. Not sure if the vines are still there - I’ll have to check and see . . .

Cheers

We are also fans of SCMV and Quinta Cruz. Visited the winery/tasting room about 2 years ago. Worth the drive up from Monterey area. Purchased:

SCMV PN, 2014, Santa Cruz Mountains
Quinta Cruz Touriga, 2013, San Antonio Valley
Quinta Cruz Red Blend 2010, “Rabelo”. Made from traditional Port grapes, this is labeled as a Dessert Wine.

Ordinarily, we are not dessert wine people. But after tasting this…it was a must buy. And Santa Cruz Mountains is an up and coming area for Pinot Noir. That’s why we sought out this brand.

Any thoughts on our above wines are welcome.

Cheers!

Just saw a post that Fulldraw is doing a TN now. Hoping to try it out when I am there in a few weeks. Will report back.

I’ve been wanting to plant some in my backyard

I was able to get some this year but not very much. Combined with some Tinta Cao and Souzau.

1 Like

That sounds awesome!

1 Like

Interesting that Fulldraw had to say that they made it dry. I guess people’s first thoughts with the grape is Port and expect it to be sweet?

Tasted the Field Recordings when we were in Tin City. I wish I could say more about it other than I was not impressed with their bottling.

Although I do find it understandable given Port’s fame vis a vis Portuguese dry wines, I think it’s a preconception worth fighting. Even among Portuguese wine consumers/aficionados I have to keep stressing the fact that Touriga Nacional is not a native Douro grape, but a Dão grape, and it is in the Dão that it shines as a varietal wine. In the Douro, whether in dry or in fortified wines, it’s part of a blend that includes many other varieties (some of which have already been mentioned here). Obviously it doesn’t help that successful, varietal TN wines from the Dão are ten years old at most. There’s a long road ahead.

1 Like

Where’s Tom Hill on this?

While these intrepid CA prodcuers are at it, how 'bout planting some Baga!

I had a chance to try the Fulldraw Touriga this past weekend at the tasting room. The story goes that they have around an acre planted to the varietal. I really enjoyed the wine as a contrast to the Rhone wines we tasted. Full-bodied and purple to black core. Dark black plums, bittersweet chocolate and licorice. Only sold as a three pack for now. I brought home 3 bottles and I need to track down a NOK Touriga for a central coast side-by-side.

Seems BV in Napa has released their first Touriga Nacional wine. Anyone try it yet?

2018 Beaulieu Vineyard Maestro Touriga Nacional Calistoga

The 2018 Maestro Collection Touriga Nacional is a highly aromatic and complex wine honoring the unique character of this Portuguese varietal, bursting with intense aromas of blueberry, boysenberry, violet, wild sage and subtle oak spice. The palate opens to a fresh and well-balanced structure expressing endless flavors of lilac and macerated blackberry. The integrated tannins are round and velvety, providing a plush mouthfeel ending with a bright, lifted finish. This is a delightful expression of a grape varietal not often seen in the Napa Valley and will certainly be a pleasing discovery for many.

This Touriga Nacional is sourced from grapes grown in the historic Beaulieu Vineyard estate Ranch No. 12 vineyard. BV Ranch No. 12, located in Calistoga, experiences dramatic diurnal temperature swings with hot days and very cool evening. There is a wide range of soil types in this vineyard and is home to Beaulieu’s most diverse set of vine plantings including Touriga, Tempranillio, Charbono, Marsanne and many more.

After hand harvesting, the grapes were immediately delivered to the winery where they were destemmed and cold soaked for 5 days to gently ease color and flavor. During the roughly 12-day fermentation, timely pump overs kept the skins in contact with the juice for excellent flavor and tannin extraction. The wine spent 16 months in 50% new French oak before being blended, giving the final wine tremendous complexity and grace. Only 280 cases produced.

Alcohol % 14.9%
Enclosure Type Cork
Oak Treatment 16 months in 50% new French oak
PH 3.8
Case Production 280

Thanks.

Two questions:

1. Are these majority touriga or simply contain some in a blend?
  2. Has anyone had a dry red from touriga in California that is really good? I don’t mean this sarcastically – I just don’t see any comments on the quality here. I’m curious.

There are some Tourigas made in Washington state as well. the only one I’ve had is The Walls Stanley Groovy bottling–a blend. It’s pretty good, nicely different, not necessarily to die for. Since they’ve changed winemakers, I’m not sure if this bottling will continue, or evolve in some way.

1 Like

I just noticed that St. Amant in Lodi is making a Touriga from Amador grapes…nice price at 21$ as well.

Coming Soon!
Touriga (Touriga Nacional) is arguably Portugal’s most prized variety forming the backbone of their great port wines. In 1980 we grafted two acres of Zinfandel to five traditional Portuguese grape varieties in our Amador County vineyard. Our intention was to produce port-style wines from California soils. Over the years the Touriga has played the most important role in our award-winning port wines, but until 2006 we had never produced a varietal Touriga.

In 1995 we began the process of replanting our vineyard and expanding our focus on Portuguese grape varieties. Specific rootstocks and clonal material were selected and a Vertical Shoot Position trellis was employed. The vineyard sits in a relatively cool site that is carefully farmed to produce the highest quality grapes. Yields typically range between 2.5 – 3.5 tons/acre.

Wine Specs
VINTAGE 2020
VARIETAL Touriga
APPELLATION Amador County
VINEYARD DESIGNATION St. Amant Vineyard
BOTTLING DATE 3/8/22
ALCOHOL %14.6

https://www.stamantwine.com/product/2019-Touriga-?pageID=3350BC51-B7DB-BF8D-10D1-27B12400780D&sortBy=DisplayOrder&maxRows=20&

Ken Zinns just visited and tasted the '20.