Trader Joes Overrated?

This. When I lived in CA the old TJ’s chain used to have some good bargains, but there might have been 20 stores in the state, so they could close out old vintages or small lots much easier than they can now with stores nationwide. Now it seems, like most large chains, that they have custom-labeled mediocre wines with names that sound like subdivisions. I haven’t bought anything from them in 20+ years, but try them occasionally with friends who aren’t as geeky who shop there. There’s nothing I’ve tried that I would go back for. Even at $15 I can find much better wine from real, small producers at my local wine shop.

For people that are into wine enough to read a board like Berserkers there is going to be few interesting bottles at TJ’s these days. For people that don’t really do any tasting or pay attention to wine regions and a $20 bottle is a splurge, they probably do ok there.

TJ’s used to have more interesting selections from time to time. I would buy Mayacamas Merlot at my local locations in the aughts for $30.

I’m sure some of their one off type of labels are pretty good from time to time. Just like any other place doing those liquidation barrel buys.

One thing we can get regularly at our local locations is the Ramos Pinto Late Bottled Vintage Port for $20. It’s a solid deal if you like a solid Port from time to time.

Never cook with a wine you would not drink.

Great for dried peaches.
Great for Jumbo cashews.
Good for organic persian cucumbers.
Wine, no. Unless you are at a very low price point. Sure there are stories but usually can go better buy buying value wines from wine stores that know them

Sorry, the wine buyer for Trader Joe’s needs to be tarred and feathered…

Seriously, come on folks. I’m sure that there are many on this board who really do enjoy their TJ’s wines and should not feel ‘shamed’ for doing so. To each their own, all . . .

Sorry have to agree. Way better luck at Costco. Kirkland Cotes du Rhone and Chianti Classico are quite good for the sub $7 price point. But honestly I’ve stopped buying stuff like that. So much good wine out there at 15-20 to drink TJ’s. That said I love TJ’s and shop their weekly.

Sean

My understanding is many of the wines come from the same source: Bronco Wines https://broncowine.com/

My take is that Trader Joe’s buys wine based on a definition of value that’s not very customer friendly. They are looking for wines that are a “good deal” in the sense that they can buy a large volume at a low price for that wine or that type of wine, but this judgment is independent of quality. So for example you may see a very low-priced Barolo, but it will likely be very poor quality. Or if two wines normally sell for $25 and TJ’s can get 1000 cases at a price that will allow them to sell wine A at $18 or wine B at $20, they will buy wine A even if wine B is a much better wine. This is the opinion I’ve formed based on my experience.

There are probably other shops that operate that way, but I think most of us would generally shop at places whose first priority is quality.

After trying quite a few wines there and having many disappointments, I resolved not to buy any more wine there unless I know exactly what it is.

I don’t feel the same way about all of their stuff. There are some clunkers but in general they seem to find some pretty decent products.

People who buy wine at TJs need to write an open letter of apology, and take a month hiatus from the board neener

Dontcha know, Larry, cheap shots are the mark of those of class and taste?

I don’t believe that. It’s fine as long as the wine is not damaged.

Not as overrated as the New York Strip. [whistle.gif]

Except for a few specific applications, like my capon with morels in vin jaune sauce, I agree with Paul. In fact, most of the wine we use for cooking comes from bottles that got a little over the hill in the cellar or from the occasional flyer we took that didn’t work out. It’s rare for me to buy something for cooking, or to use something I’d rather drink.

I’ve never bought wine at Trader Joes. Or anything else that I can think of, for that matter. It’s never been in my shopping rotation.

I was going to post the exact same thing.

I strongly disagree with this. You don’t need fine wine to enhance a dish. Most of the value is in releasing alcohol soluble flavors. Nuance gets lost in cooking.

So in essence they are doing what Naked Wines does, they grab bulk wine from producers and put a label on it and call it their own. I think that makes it hard to sell good stuff because most producers aren’t letting go of their good stuff…

Larry, the OP asked and people have answered. I don’t think anyone is being too harsh. If there are people who enjoy TJ wine that’s fine, but there’s nothing wrong with voicing opinions that the wine on the whole is not good. People come here to learn, not to be told that Bronco wine is as good as anything else. Personally I bought a few random wines several years ago which were not bad, but most of my attempts yielded very, very generic wines that often tasted chemical and heavily manipulated. Warning people off of that is a good idea IMO. Like anywhere else, if you see a reputable wine at a good price, by all means, buy, but random purchasing is risky.

Those saying TJs is generally overrated, I disagree. I would never do all of my shopping there but they have a few items that are very good and good value. Frozen Naan, harissa paste, Calabrian chili paste, and olives are things worth buying off the top of my head. Some good seasonal items as well. But for me the big draw, though I haven’t been since the pandemic since the stores are packed even at normal times, is the cheese. They have a good selection and excellent pricing. Around the holidays they’ll have things like Harbison for about $12 for the whole round, which is nuts. Many other good cheeses at silly prices too.

I agree with Michael that this thread doesn’t seem overly snobby or like it’s shaming anyone. And of course it’s viewing their wines from a WB perspective, rather than a civilian perspective, because this is WB.

I think a wine enthusiast who knows TJ but hasn’t tried the wines could easily wonder if they’re missing out on interesting wines and good bargains, and for me, I think the answer mostly is that they’re not.

TJ’s is overrated…